Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keeping Rhythm - cheats method

Davo-London

Folks

newbie here (bass and drummer). As a novice drummer I could do with an black box that has two modes:

Mode 1: input mode - the black box specifies what BPM the drummer is playing at.

Mode 2: output mode - the black box creates a click track visual/audio so that the drummer can keep rhythm.

This is a cheat obviously, but for a newbie playing in a group. Particularly say a worship group, this would enable the group to set the tempo for a few bars and then the drummer can take over and keep time. And appear to be rather good!

Does such a black box exist? Or is this facility available in some of the electronic drum kits?

Thanks in advance

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first off, don't worry about it being a "cheat". An old accquaintance of mine, Dane Clark, has been Mellencamp's drummer for several years, now; prior to that, he was the first-call studio session player in town, and played in a number of pick-up bands, and when he played in those bands, he used an electronic metronome with a set of headphones, on the gig.

Another more recent example, on one of Sting's more recent tours, they used a percussion track programmed into a sequncer/drum machine/whathaveyou, that played out through the monitors (and maybe a little bit into the mains); the audience could clearly hear it, but it really didn't detract from the performance at all.

The point, here, is that it's okay to use a guide track and if you're clever about it, you can disguise it as auxillary percussion. And there's no shame in wearing headphones on stage...heck, Jeff Baxter of the Doobie Brothers was doing that twenty-some years ago.

My suggestion would be to find a drum machine you're comfortable with, program some percussion timekeeping tracks, and go to town.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I think what you're looking for, then, is science fiction. At that point, the only thing I can recommend is concentration and focus.

If the drummer, conductor, or band leader isn't there to set the BPM, then someone's wearing pants they shouldn't.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Hey Davo, don't you think that might mess up the groove. If the BPM is set from the first bar of the song and kept through out the entire song the audience will have an easier time listening to the music. Of course there are exceptions, such as Rush tunes, when the BPM can suddenly change during the same song. Although, with those Rush tunes in mind, if you pay attention you will find that the BPM is carved in stone from the first beat of the tempo change.

I don't think it would mess up the groove. I usually find we ghost around a bit and then find trhe optimum around the 4th bar. Then as a drummer you want to keep it there, hence my black box.
"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived