Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI trigger for kick drum

GreggTL

I want to get a trigger to put on the kick of my acoustic set in my studio-- so that when local drummers come in and screw up the tuning I can still get a good kick sound when I mix down, via my own sample library. I don't want to have to buy somebody's sound module.

Obviously I want good quality...low latency (but I could correct for latency when I mix, if I need to.) I guess I will need some kind of module to convert the trigger signal into MIDI information, but anyway I'm clueless as to what the appropriate hardware is.

I know there's another solution which is to put a 57 mic near the batter head and record it...then gate that and de-select the notes that still leak through from the rest of the kit and convert that to MIDI within my computer...and I've done that and it works, but it's time consuming and it's a pain. I'm looking for something simple, easy to use, not time consuming, and good quality result.

Thanks in advance if you have experience in this which you can share with me.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely use the trigger. -Of course, you'll need something to convert that to midi.

The new Roland triggers are AMAZINGLY good. You might want to put them on the toms as well. Each midi-convert box is 4 channels, and triggering is fairly fast (under 5 ms)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived