Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Drum Murdered

crowbar

Thanks for the comments about my bass drum sound,this is great having other drummers to talk about drumming with.Tried again tonight with the same results,so will be selling it(whole set)sometyime this week.Here in Traverse City we only have 3 music stores one of which buys used stuff.Could take what they give (4/5 hundred bucks and save toward this D.W.set...goes for 2100.Lotta dough.Any comments on what other drums I should look at will be appreciated.My main drumming style is jazz/rock and this Yamaha set is difinently rock sounding,like the higher pitched tom sounds prevelant nowadays.Allman Brothers (Jaimo/Trucks have always had agood sound).Bass drum sound Im seeking is a deep authoritive BOOM that dies immediatly.If you guys want to hear THE MOST AWESOME BASS DRUM SOUND EVER check out the middle bridge in Robert Plants "Fate of nations tune called"The Greatest Gift"YEAH!!!!Crowbar

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well - you´ll find that it doesn´t really matter what drums you play - more the tuning of your drums and head configurations. Yamaha kits fx were the most popular jazz/fusion kit not so many years ago (Gadd, Weckl, Colaiuta, Erskine, etc...) - but - was also used for rock (Colaiuta, Gadd, Erskine, Sorum, Robinson, etc....)

... Learning what heads to choose and how to tune your drums properly WILL save you a lot of money....

GL,

Nagash

Hey Crowbar,

The most important thing when choosing a drum set is the wood it's made of not the brand, Yamaha, D.W., Pearl, Tama, etc. all make a "top of the line" kit, most people go with maple or birch, the sounds are different so it's really up to you as to which wood to choose. Most artist that Nagash mentioned play their specific brand of drums based on endorsments, yet they play either a maple or birch kit, yes heads and tunning are important, but which wood you choose is the first step in buying a kit.

My Two Pennies. :wave:

Archived