Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snare drum recommendations

m2

Hi,

I've got a Yamaha Stage Custom set, and I'm not at all happy with the metal snare that came with it. I want to get a Maple 5.5x14 snare, something decent, but not too expensive. Would be for Beatlesque type rock/pop music. Just want a good meat and potatoes snare. I've been checking around the web, and found this:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=092

Anybody familiar with it? Decent, or still too cheap?

Thanks for any help,

Macle

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Macle:

Welcome to Drum Talk!

Hope you'll stick around

I am very familiar with this Slingerland Artist Model.

I was the with Slingerland for several years and even served as the President there for the last year I was with them!

I cannot believe that I am telling you that this is a good deal, because I think that in some way, Slingerland is now living a jaded existence as a web-only ... import-only product. But, that is the way things have gone!

This is a great drum. It is an import made in a very fine factory in Taiwan. There were some quality control issues sometimes with these drums, ... but there always are with any company. The main complaint you may have will be with the throw-off action, but with minor adjustments, it can work fine. If you go with the drum, e-mail me and I can walk you through the details.

Overall, this drum is killer for the price. You could argue that it is disposable at that price!

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks,

DJ (Dendy)

nashvilledrummer@home.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey DJ, I just got the snare! Very cool. It was packed just in a small cardboard box barely big enough for the snare, and that's it, no packing stuff or anything! But luckily, the drum appears to be in perfect shape.

So it looks pretty cool, seems very well made, and so far seems to sound pretty cool, too, and hopefully, I'll have a chance to really test it out soon.

Btw, the throw off seems alright, what are the adjustments I should make?

Thanks very much,

Macle

If it has the old style "zoomatic" throwoff as I believe it does (a tombstone shaped housing with a lever out of the top) ... sometimes, they were installed with too much tilt inward at the bottom. Just an installation problem. If this is the case, ... you will know it as the turn know that adjusts the tension will be almost impossible to turn. If it is on properly, the know will turn will minimal resistance.

How does your feel?

You will also probably want to put a Remo Coated Ambassador on the top and a clear snare side on the bottom. The Taiwanese heads leave a little to be desired!

I bet once you replace the heads and tune it up ... you are going to love the pop you get out of it!

Let me know,

DJ

Hi

I am very happy with the sound of my Premier Genista snare.

Peace.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by djarrett:

If it has the old style "zoomatic" throwoff as I believe it does (a tombstone shaped housing with a lever out of the top) ... sometimes, they were installed with too much tilt inward at the bottom. Just an installation problem. If this is the case, ... you will know it as the turn know that adjusts the tension will be almost impossible to turn. If it is on properly, the know will turn will minimal resistance.

How does your feel?

You will also probably want to put a Remo Coated Ambassador on the top and a clear snare side on the bottom. The Taiwanese heads leave a little to be desired!

I bet once you replace the heads and tune it up ... you are going to love the pop you get out of it!

Let me know,

DJ

I think the throw off is working properly. Turns very easily, etc., so that's good. Good idea about the Taiwanese heads!! Put on some new Remos. I do believe I am digging this snare! I've been wanting a snare like this for a while, and this one is a lot less expensive than I thought I would have to spend.

Thanks very much DJ. What a trip that you worked at Slingerland (the President, no less!). I really appreciate your help and advice.

Macle

Originally posted by sign:

Hi

I am very happy with the sound of my Premier Genista snare.

Peace.

Hey sign, thanks very much, but I went ahead with the Slingerland, and it looks good to go.

Thanks,

Macle

You know, the Maple snares that come with the YAMAHA Stage Custom kits is pretty good. Too bad you didn't get that instead of the metal snare.

I recently bought one of these for a church I play at. Had a guy sub for me a couple of weeks ago ... and he was blown away. He told me later that it sounded so good, he thought that the sound he was hearing was processed and coming through his monitor, when it fact ... it was pure acoustic sound (nothing even in the monitors). I guess some of it was how I tuned the drums ... but it sounds great for being the level of kit that it is.

For the money ... you just can't beat it ... well, yes you can "beat" but you can't beat the price! LOL

- Bartman

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

How does your feel?

Let me know,

DJ

I think I spoke to soon about this being alright. After changing the bottom head, I noticed the strainer wasn't working the same, so I must have goofed something up. I see what you're saying about the relationship between the strainer, the tilt, and the tension. If you could fill me in on the best way to adjust this, that would be great.

Thanks,

Macle

Hey, Macle:

No Problem. If it was working good to begin with ... you got a good drum with a functional strainer.

There is the important factor to remember when putting the snares back on. This strainer on the throw-off side is mounted in the center of the throw-off on a pivoting bracket. When adjusting the string tension when attaching the snares to the strainer, you want to back the tension wheel to a looser tension. Make sure that when you tie the string to the throw-off side, that the throw-off lever is in the "off" position. While tying, try to make sure that the throw-off is fairly straight on the pivot (perpendicular with the side of the drum). Once you have tied the string, on both sides (making sure that the hand tying already has some tension on the snares and that you allow the same amount of string length on both sides), flip the drum over with the drum sitting in the normal upright position. Slowly tighten the tension on the tension knob while slowly flipping the lever on the throw-off.

Remember, if you over-tighten the tension on the snares themself, you will choke the drum. Ultimately, you want the throw-off to be perpendicular with the side of the drum and the tension to be adjusted "just so" with the tension on the snares.

Once you have mastered this balance, you will have a drum that just plain rocks!

This all sounds complicated, but it really is quite simple. The great thing about the zoomatic strainer is that it allows a very large amount of adjustments and personalization to your snare sound.

Please let me know if you understand all of this!

If you need more help, let me know and I can e-mail you my phone number!

Thanks,

DJ

I've been trying to mic my Tama Rockstar kit for quite sometime. I couldn't stand the snare sound. Sounded like a paper bag or broken mic. Tried over and under mics, Condensers top and bottom and also side mics. Still sounded like a paper bag. Changed top and bottom heads, still the bag. Changed mics. Then finally my wife got me a Pearl Masters Signature Series Chad Smith snare for Fathers day and a D112 for the kick. I was looking for that Pearl Jam snap and some of the newer artist snap to the snare. This did it. Throw the mic's on it and immediately had the sound I wanted. Thanks to all those who posted on how to get a tight sounding snare sound. It helped once I got a snare I was happy with. The first snare was a Pearl Export and for me it didn't get out of the bag zone.

Brad

This message has been edited by frozen on 07-03-2001 at 06:59 PM

Hey, Macle:

How is the tuning coming along?

DJ

Great! Thanks very much for your help. Btw, I showed this snare to a couple of "real" drummers and they were quite impressed.

Thanks again,

macle

Originally posted by frozen:

I've been trying to mic my Tama Rockstar kit for quite sometime. I couldn't stand the snare sound. Sounded like a paper bag or broken mic. Tried over and under mics, Condensers top and bottom and also side mics. Still sounded like a paper bag. Changed top and bottom heads, still the bag. Changed mics. Then finally my wife got me a Pearl Masters Signature Series Chad Smith snare for Fathers day and a D112 for the kick. I was looking for that Pearl Jam snap and some of the newer artist snap to the snare. This did it. Throw the mic's on it and immediately had the sound I wanted. Thanks to all those who posted on how to get a tight sounding snare sound. It helped once I got a snare I was happy with. The first snare was a Pearl Export and for me it didn't get out of the bag zone.

Brad

This is exactly what I was going through with the Yamaha snare. Tuning and retuning, different heads, mics, etc. Finally registered in my thick head, hey, this drum is a piece of sh*t!! I haven't had a chance to record this Slingerland yet, but hopefully, it will record great like your Chad Smith.

Thanks,

macle

i've been on a 'holy grail' snare hunt for ages- right now, i have a '68 brass rogers dynasonic (missing the snare frame, but works fine with snares attached the normal way), pearl 'steve ferrone' (copy of ludwig black beauty), dw 4.25x14 maple, ludwig 14x3 birch, and pearl chad smith.

the dw and chad smith are going to be sold, as i flat don't like the sound of them. the steve ferrone is tempermental- some days it sounds great, some days it sucks.. with no changes in between! the ludwig birch is kind of papery sounding, but it's part of a matching kit, so i'll keep it for a while.

the jewel is the rogers- because the snare frame was missing, i got it for $75. it has a small ding in the outer shell too, but nothing serious. it's heavy brass coated with chrome- the steve ferrone is brass too, but it's so lite compared to the rogers....

anyway, it took a little work to get it going- i bought a set of puresound snares for it, and replaced the pitted hoops. total investment, $115.

result?

the best snare sound i've ever heard! it cracks and pops, rim shots explode from it, the difference between a center-hit rim shot and an edge-hit are very dramatic, ghost notes sound lite and delicate... it's just perfect.

i bought a bunch of those 'attack terry bozzio' $12 batter/resonant paks that were being offered a few months ago, and they sound fine with it, tho it really shines with evans 'power center' heads.

the tuning range on it is great, too- whether tight or loose, it has presence.

i've toyed with buying a snare frame and set of 'real' snares for it (which would cost twice as much as the drum itself), but it sounds so good now i haven't bothered.

this is a good example of a drum that's not a collector's piece, but that's priceless because of it's sound. these can be had pretty cheaply on the net, too- in the 80's rogers was out of business, so a lot of drummers took the frame off to be able to use normal snares, and of course lost the frame. the drums have very little value without the frame (unless they are the wood model), so even 'vintage' stores don't ask much for them.

earl palmer said it best- "you can make a brass snare sound like wood, but a wood snare can't sound like brass".

If you sell the Chad Smith, let me know- I am looking for one. boschy@tampabay.rr.com
To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks." -Jack Handy

Archived