Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did you get your music start while in school?

djarrett

For many folks, school played a key role in their introduction into music.

Here in the States, most kids get their start, usually in the 4th grade by starting in Elementary Band. If you pass the initial interest stage and move onto Middle School Band and then High School Concert and Marching Band, you will most likely have developed a life-long passion for your instrument.

Did this play a role in your musical start and if so, to what extent?

DJ

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'll start.

Although I played pots, pans, and tupperware early through life, I got my official start in the fourth grade by joining the elementary school band. I can remember the band director calling an assembly in the gym and all 4th graders came. He talked about the benefits of band and those that were interested were asked to stay. He then went student to student recommending an instrument based on interest and what he determined to be best suited for the shape of each person's mouth.

Originally he and my Dad thought I would be suited for trumpet, but that lasted about 2 days as I was persistent about the fact that I was born to be a drummer!

As it turns out, Jim Mills, my Band Director through my public school years was a huge influence on my life.

I for one can say that the single act of joining band in school marked my life and shaped who I have become today.

I think it a real shame that so many of the school music programs struggle for funding and even face being phased out.

Let me know your story!

Thanks,

DJ

Yes, my HS band director was a great influence on me. In fact, I see him around my home town once in a while and we always shoot the breeze. The funny thing is... we never had the funding to really see the full potential of our band but yet, I am still playing music. I wonder how many of those damn football players are still playing? NONE!!!!

Yet, I know of two people I used to march with in HS that still play and we are all in our mid 30's now!

But yah, I got my start in HS watching/wanting to be the cool cat ripping on the quads.

I'm sure if I'd taken up the drums, I would have done what you guys did. I always thought the guys in marching band were da bomb. Unfortunately I have never taken very well to structured education of any kind. School was pretty much one big long nightmare for me; I was just counting the days till I could take the GED and get out. I did play in my Jr. High jazz band for awhile, because the director was so great. I also became a Teacher's Aid for the guitar teacher - but I had already learned to play guitar on my own. I never actually had taken a class there.

Alas, we moved and I went to a different Jr. High where the band teacher was a total moron. I became interested in drums about this time and, knowing how I prefer teaching myself to taking lessons, I thought maybe I could use one of the drum kits in the band room or at least a snare. I asked the band director and he totally snapped at me: "You don't start off playing drums with a drum kit! You start with a practice pad!" OK, I said, what's a practice pad? He handed me one which of course was in really bad shape. I kept it for a couple of days and then gave it back, thoroughly dejected. I really didn't see what was wrong with having a real drum to learn on, at least to see if I really liked the instrument or had an aptitude for it.

Luckily, I met a kid from the high school jazz band who was a great drummer. Not only did he become the drummer in my own first band, but he let me come over and play on his drum kit any time I wanted. That really got me motivated! I even bought a decent practice pad after that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

If only teachers knew how much they screwed kids up by not trying to determine the best way that each kid learns. It's different for everybody.

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 05-01-2001 at 12:02 PM

No I didn't start in school, in fact it was my 25th birthday when I finally decided that this urge to play drums just wasn't going to go away, so I started having lessons. I'm 41 now and still playing a lot. Can't stop it now.

Brenton

Cheers

Brenton

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I I always thought the guys in marching band were da bomb. Unfortunately I have never taken very well to structured education of any kind. School was pretty much one big long nightmare for me; I was just counting the days till I could take the GED and get out.

--Lee

Hey, Lee:

Why do you think most guys start to play the drums. We *all* want to be da bomb!

And I can relate to you. Although I had to do well in school (you see my Mom was a teacher at my high school!!) (and a great one I might add ... had her for Advanced Composition my Senior year!), all I ever wanted to do was play the drums. I stayed all hours of the night at the band room playing, cleaning, tuning and basically engrossing myself in the drums. Other than that, I could have just done without the "school-thing."

Relating!

DJ

Originally posted by Brenton Trott:

No I didn't start in school, in fact it was my 25th birthday when I finally decided that this urge to play drums just wasn't going to go away, so I started having lessons. I'm 41 now and still playing a lot. Can't stop it now.

Brenton

Hey, Brenton!'

That is a great story. So many people think that by the time they reach 25, it is too late!

What a good lesson ... It is never too late!

41 and still rockin' ... you go!

DJ

Archived