Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the going rate for drummers?

michael saulnier

As I mentioned in another post, I'm going to turn some of my self-made demo's into "better" recordings of the songs. I'm not really looking to form a band, since I have a full time job and can't travel much, and certainly I'm not expecting to be the next big thing.

I'd like to hire a drummer to help me with my recordings, since that's one instrument I don't even try to play...

Any thoughts on how to properly compensate a decent player? Any tips on auditioning drummers? Should I give him or her tracks to take away and work on on their own... Who's paying for this time?

I'm hoping finding players with the skills I need shouldn't be too big of a problem, I assume finding the right "chemistry" will be an important factor...

I'd also like a percussionist, are the rates generally the same?

I envision a future setting where I play a solo or a duo gig with MIDI backed bass, keys and drums. If I find a drummer with an electronic kit, I could record a MIDI version of his playing couldn't I? I think it would add a lot of "realness" to the playing style if not the sounds. What kind of agreement should I make that would allow me to use his "MIDI Drum licks" in my songs?

Thanks in advance...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, GuitP:

I cannot speak for the rest of the country, but here in Nashville, the competition is high for any studio work. This high competition drives the prices down. The only thing that saves them from being gutter ball rates, is the Union Scale.

The going rate for a demo session (a B or C session here) is about $150/song. This rate and you better be able to knock the song out in take one or at least take two.

That is all from Nashvegas!

DJ

I've done this kind of thing for others, using live drums and/or including the MIDI thing. Since I also have a full time gig, I do my recordings in my home studio, and then can ship it you via files on a cd. Contact me via e-mail, and I can give you some price quotes if you like.

For me, it all depends on the project and involvement.

I offer custom drum and percussion tracks via my home studio here in Dallas.

http://baeproductions.com

Clients ship me the ADAT, etc., I track the drums and/or percussion and FedEx it back to them. Since I can work on my own time, I am able to charge a less than what I would normally charge; having to cart my gear local studio to just track one song.

If you are going to track drums locally, I would think that you'd be looking at least $70 per hour plus cartage for an "A" player. You get what you pay for. An "A" player may charge more, but he/she can knock it out in an hour. If you use your cousin Billy who offers to do it for $35 per hour, he may take twice as long to lay down the tracks, so you end up spending the same amount of money. Cousin Billy would actually cost you more if you take in consideration of the studio time. So for the same money, you could have gotten the best player in town! Definitely something to think about when weighing the rates of different players.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I often ask the producer what he's paying for the A-list session drummers when they come in here. The range for major label albums has been about $300-$500 per song, often depending on the number of songs. On self-produced projects where the artist is paying for everything and is friends with session drummer, it's often cheaper, maybe $200-$400 for a 10-hour recording day. These prices include the drummer's tech bringing the drummer's studio kit, with a range of snares/toms/cymbals, setup by the tech at the start of the day and then taken down by same at the end.

Jon

Capitol Studios Paris

Paris, France

Originally posted by Jon Atack:

I often ask the producer what he's paying for the A-list session drummers when they come in here. The range for major label albums has been about $300-$500 per song, often depending on the number of songs. On self-produced projects where the artist is paying for everything and is friends with session drummer, it's often cheaper, maybe $200-$400 for a 10-hour recording day. These prices include the drummer's tech bringing the drummer's studio kit, with a range of snares/toms/cymbals, setup by the tech at the start of the day and then taken down by same at the end.

Jon

Capitol Studios Paris

Paris, France

Hey, Jon:

Welcome to Drum Talk! Please go to the "inquiring Minds Want to Know" and let us know about you!

Thanks,

DJ

Originally posted by PeteCaigan:

The top session players can command 2-3 G.'s a day. You could find a really good local guy for a few hundred for the day. If you want to record the midi , just ask him if it's cool to do and maybe throw him a few extra bucks.

-Pete

www.petebeat.com

Hey, Pete:

Welcome to Drum Talk!

Please go to the thread: "Inquiring Minds Want To Know," and let us know about you and your drumming!

DJ

Archived