Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Head Combination

djarrett

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my sonors I have pinstripes with ambassador clears on the bottoms.

I have had everything on those things but now I'm getting a great big ol' thick crunchy tone with that sonor "pow" for attack...but I'm a rock/fusion drummer. I have an aquarian single ply on the kick with a remo falam pad or whatever the hell they call them.

On my "sner" I have a CS clear dot with a rennaissance bottom head. Everyone thinks I'm weird, but I love the combo.

my yamadogs (club customs) I have bear stadium heads with some cheapo coated evans on the bottoms...those heads scream...sorta like a coated head on steroids...I didn't like them at first but I got used to them and on that kit they work nice.

my yamaha snares I just keep coated whatevers...I have an vinnie appice aquarian on my one brass rock snare that is different....my manu has a coated ambassador I think...nice drum that one.

I typically use Coated Ambassadors on the batter side of the toms, and either clear ambassadors, or clear diplomats on the bottoms depending on thw situation. Ambassaors for live, Diplomats for recording.

Wood snare drums, i tend to use coated ambassadors and again, depending on the situation either a snare side ambassador or diplomat. Metal drums i usually use a coated PowerStroke III on the batter side - except on an Ayotte Kiplinger with Wood hoops - that drum is pretty mellow on the overtones. This said, I do try new brands and styles of heads on a semi-regualr basis, but keep coming back to the standards.

I have tried Evans G1 coated on toms - they were kinda cool, but didn't age very well in my opinion. I have also tried Attack Med thin coated on toms, and kinda liked those - real cheap too!

For Kick drums, no matter what the size, i've been sticking with Aquarian Superkick I on the batter, and a superkick front with a 7" hole. I think these sound fantastic. No Muffling - ever. The evans systems come close

ajc

I have Sonor Hi-Lites in my studio. I used to use Remo heads, but recently I've started using Evans. I noticed that the attack with Evans heads on my drums was a little brighter, cleaner, tighter. More modern. If I was going to go for an older sound, I'd probably still use Remo. In any case, I like Evans G1 clear (for rock) or G1 coated (for r&b/funk) on rack toms batter side, and Remo Diplomats on the bottom. I like Evans G2 clear/coated on floor toms batter side, and Remo Ambassadors on the bottom. For the kick drum I like the Remo PowerStroke3 batter and an Evans EQ3 with the pre-cut 5" hole (this is the only head I'll use). For snare I like Evans coated G2 on top and Remo "hazy" on bottom. Interesting thread....

Brent Bodrug

www.bgroupmusic.com

I get a great punchy sound (can I say ball-zee!?!) from a clear Remo Powerstroke III on top and a clear Ambassador on the bottom.

Coated Powerstroke III on the snare drum. Clear Powerstroke III on the bassdrum batter. NO HOLE in the front. I use a 20" bass drum with a mic in front of the drum. The sound guys cannot believe how great this drum sounds without the hole!

They are all skeptical until the soundcheck!

DJ

I use mainly Remo Ambassadors, coated on snare, clear on snare bottom and on top of the toms. On the bottom of the toms and the non batter kick, I use the Ebony ones (my kit is black). The batter head on the kick is a Fyber skin 3

Brenton

Cheers

Brenton

I'm using coated Emperors on top and clear Ambassadors on the bottom of my toms. Kick is either a coated Emperor or coated Pinstrip on the batter with a black (I forget which one, tho' I think it's an Evans) front head with a smallish hole. On my snares (wood or metal) I use a coated Pinstripe on top with an Ambassador Snare head on bottom.

Everyone tells me I'm nuts to use a Pinstripe on the snare, but they usually shut up when the hear the sound. Completely yummy.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I've been using pinstripes on my snares for over 15 years, and they're still my favourites.

I do want to check out the Evans Genera HD Dry or the ST Dry at some point, they look interesting. I remember trying the Genera Dry back in '91 or so and really liked the sound. Unfortunately since I was in a band that required me to play really loud the head only lasted for three tunes and then I had to switch to my backup snare. :-)

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

One may get one or two ply...the two having a little more attack and durability. I like the single without a falam pad these days...but I use hard felts as beaters. I have not broken one yet, but I change them more frequently when the plastic starts getting thin. I can play my kick hard at times, but I am by no means a plastic/wood beater pedal breaker...might not be a good combo for those types. Whatever turns you on.

Originally posted by felix stein:

Bgroup,

How have your evans been holding up for you?

Really well for my purposes. Frankly, my drums are studio drums (I'm a producer), and I put new heads on for each session day. But in between sessions they get beat on quite a bit and they hold up rather well. Admittedly though, I use Evans because I like how they sound rather than how long they last... They do seem heartier than Remo though. With heavy hitters, often times we'd change heads mid-session (sometimes two or three times!). I've yet to have to change the Evans mid-session...

Brent Bodrug

www.bgroupmusic.com

DJ,

Stupid question: if you don't have a hole in the kick how do you use any muffling (towel or pillow or whatever) inside the drum? Or, if you don't use any muffling, how do you stop the seemingly inevitable nasty ring in the kick?

I have Powerstroke 3's on my 20" kick with a SMALL hole in the front and a small towel inside. I really love the way it sounds.

I am also a huge fan of the Evans vented dry head on my snare. Never needs any dampening. Mine is a studio kit too so I don't know how well it holds up under repeated live gigs.

Which Aquarian heads have you guys tried for your toms? I've got Response 2's on mine, they are double ply and seem extremely strong. I'm thinking to try single ply heads though, maybe not Aquarians. These double ply heads might be a bit much for my relatively small toms. They do sound good though!

--Lee

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

DJ,

Stupid question: if you don't have a hole in the kick how do you use any muffling (towel or pillow or whatever) inside the drum? Or, if you don't use any muffling, how do you stop the seemingly inevitable nasty ring in the kick?

I have Powerstroke 3's on my 20" kick with a SMALL hole in the front and a small towel inside. I really love the way it sounds.

--Lee

Hey, Lee:

Not a stupid question.

I have a DW (drum workshop) BDP Acoustically Designed Adjustable, removable internal Bass Drum Muffling Pad in my bass drum.(Whew!) This aesthetically pleasing "pillow" really does the trick. I attaches to the bottom of the bass drum shell via Velcro strips that enable you to adjust the amount of pressure on the heads based on where you "stick it" (sorry about that terminology!) Also, Evans has their version called the EQ Pad. This functions in the same way.

And last but not least, look for an upcoming review of REMO's newly designed Adjustable Bass Muffling System. This system involves a pillow tube that is available in the specific size of your bass drum. It attaches via Velcro attached "C" clamps that allow pressure adjustment.

There you have it.. Many choices with no hole and a killer sound!

DJ

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

"Stupid question:"

No its not....

" if you don't have a hole in the kick how do you use any muffling (towel or pillow or whatever) inside the drum? Or, if you don't use any muffling, how do you stop the seemingly inevitable nasty ring in the kick?"

Since i don't think you move your drums around lee (i.e. in cases on the road) - you could just pop a folded towel in there, put the front head back on, and then sort of maneuver the towel by moving the drum so that it rests against each head a little. Depending on yur head choice, you could lessen the ring. I use the Acquarian BD heads and dont use any muffling at all cuz those head have rings on the inside of the heads, which provide plenty of control. The problem , IMHO, with towels/blankets/pillows is that they rest against the shell as well, therefore dampening the shell along with the heads, which i find undesirable. And actually sucks a bit of volume out of the drum.

"I have Powerstroke 3's on my 20" kick with a SMALL hole in the front and a small towel inside. I really love the way it sounds."

Hey, if it sounds good, right?

"I am also a huge fan of the Evans vented dry head on my snare. Never needs any dampening. Mine is a studio kit too so I don't know how well it holds up under repeated live gigs."

I dont usually do the *vented* thing. little holes in the head right? I tried on of those once, and i felt that since there was another avenue for air to escape the shell of the drum other than the vent hole, that the shell was not resonating to its full potential. Classify that as extremely anal retentive..

"Which Aquarian heads have you guys tried for your toms? I've got Response 2's on mine, they are double ply and seem extremely strong. I'm thinking to try single ply heads though, maybe not Aquarians. These double ply heads might be a bit much for my relatively small toms. They do sound good though!"

I *love* their BD heads specifically the Superkick I series- both batter & resonant side. I have tried almost all of their tom heads and just dont dig em. If you like the double ply thing - believe it of not, Attack makes what i belive is the thinnest double ply head on the market. I belive its the *Medium thin*. I have tried the coated ones, and thought they sounded really really good. They are really very cheap too. I dont usually like or use doubleply, but i have to say these were very impressive - probably cuz they were so thin. They sound great with Maple shells.

ajc

This message has been edited by ajcamlet@earthlink.net on 04-20-2001 at 11:42 AM

Originally posted by ajcamlet@earthlink.net:

I dont usually do the *vented* thing. little holes in the head right? I tried on of those once, and i felt that since there was another avenue for air to escape the shell of the drum other than the vent hole, that the shell was not resonating to its full potential. Classify that as extremely anal retentive..

LOL... interesting school of thought. Wellll I feel that my snare totally rocks and this head has a lot to do with why. Then again I like a pretty dry, in your face kinda snare sound. I'd like to get a deeper snare that resonates more, just for a different sound, and I will have to put your theory to the test when I do.

If you like the double ply thing - believe it of not, Attack makes what i belive is the thinnest double ply head on the market. I belive its the *Medium thin*. I have tried the coated ones, and thought they sounded really really good. They are really very cheap too. I dont usually like or use doubleply, but i have to say these were very impressive - probably cuz they were so thin. They sound great with Maple shells.

Well maple shells iz what I got, so I'll have to try those! I haven't totally decided if I like the double ply thing better. For me the jury is still out on the best tom heads.

Thanks for the ideas! And DJ I didn't realize there were all these newfangled kick drum muffling systems now, although I should have figured there would be! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Lee

Archived