Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey TKO 65

h364

Hi there,

some of you may know i needed an amp for a pub gig this wensday, i managed to get a peavey TKO 65 off my fathers cousin, i got it home played through it with my boss gt-6b and my fender jazz, it sounds really muddy and bassey if it makes sense, and i dont know what half of the knobs and dials mean.

If i could get an explaination on what each one does and recomendations for a good clean sound using the settings i have would be very very helpful.

Ok, from left to right

High & Low Gain Inputs

Then a section labelled gain with two knobs one reading:

Pre-Pull Bright (blue knob 1-10)

And another reading:

Post Pull-Punch (white 1-10)

Then in the equilisation section there is:

Low (1-10)

Shift (with three labels 150, 300, 800 and 1.5k)

Mid (1-10)

High (1-10)

Presence (-12 to +12)

Then a patch setting with two 1/4" sockets labelled:

Pre-Amp Out

Power Amp In

And then comp with a green led next to it and power with a red led.

Then power switch and ground switch.

The only ones that ring a bell are the low mid and high eq, so i really need some help!

Thanks, Harrison

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Start at flat:

push both of the push-pulls.

pre at zero

post at 7 or 8

shift knob at 800 or 300 Hz.

everything else at 5 (pointing up)

Presence at zero (pointing up)

TOne and volume on bass cranked full up.

Then slowly turn up the pre amp knob till it's loud enough.

Then tell us what it sounds like.

Keep in mind that initial EQ changes should be small. Think baby steps. IMHO: Although EQ is a powerful tool, more good sound is ruined by bad EQ than than is fixed by good EQ.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I tried this, sounds good, still abit 'low' but i think this is due to it being a 1x15" which ill avoid in the future, and chance of getting 'brighter' tones?

Ive never gigged with bass, and i know u have to be loud to keep up with modern musicians, but when i seem to get louder it dosent really make more sound just rumbles more if you like, how do you get 'loud'?

Thanks, Harrison

If it still sounds a little low a couple things could be helping that. One is that in a small room the bass will be more boomy at any med-high volumes.

now maybe try tunring down the bass knob. past that I would jsut mess around with it. Also, after messing with it and getting a good sound, walk away and come back a little later and see if it still sounds good. You will probably have to change the EQ on stage a little.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Originally posted by h364:

I tried this, sounds good, still abit 'low' but i think this is due to it being a 1x15" which ill avoid in the future, and chance of getting 'brighter' tones?

I never had a problem getting bright tones out of a 15". Try jiggering a bit with the lows on the EQ, see if that doesn't make it more to your liking.

Originally posted by h364:

Ive never gigged with bass, and i know u have to be loud to keep up with modern musicians, but when i seem to get louder it dosent really make more sound just rumbles more if you like, how do you get 'loud'?

Thanks, Harrison

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the TKO 65 is less than 100 watts. TO make a bass loud, you need more than 100 watts output. Try a different amp when you get one.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived