Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Do you use a distortion pedal?

sduross

I use distortion on a regular basis.

I use a SansAmp RBI as a preamp in my main rig. When I'm using a different rig, I use a SansAmp BDDI. These are both set for a mild overdrive sound.

When I want some true distortion, I stomp on a Digitech Bass Driver pedal. It is a pretty decent pedal, but the knobs are a bit finicky. I have to set it just perfect to get the sound I'm looking for. The knobs get spun around really easily when I toss my pedal board into a bag or storage bin.

I've been slowly looking for an alternative.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hardly ever use it in a band but some in my own home recordings, depending on the song.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

i use the distortion on my pedal in some of our originals, it can be really cool if you use it at an approppriate time. i usually like to leave the disortion to the guitarist but sometimes it can really contribute to the music as a whole.

Tim Commerford from rage against the machine and audioslave uses distortion really well. he's a good one to study if you want to get a feel for it's use through listening.

hmmm...

...and a bit curious about the GK Dieseldog and Tech 21 XXL. Guess I need to run to the store and see what I can test out.

i have an XXL. it's one of ones from back in the day before they split into guitar- and bass-specific models. i guess i can call it a silverface XXL. i enjoy it a great deal.

i have also used an old proco rat, but that kills the low end. it sounds great until you turn it off and all this big low end shows back up. after that, it always sounds a little thin.

i also make some use of the distortion channel on my peavey classic 400. but that's not a pedal. i also use it blended with the clean channel for a really aggressive, bity "clean" tone.

robb.

In the past I've used a Zoom 506 multi-FX (awful distortion but educational at least...), a Boss BE5-B multi-FX (all analogue, very neat, nice straightforward Boss distortion with blend control), a Sovtek Big Muff (fabulous sound but such poor QC you need to test numerous examples to get one with the sound you want and be prepared to wield the soldering iron) and a Fulltone BassDrive (near faultless - just wish the pots were less free-turning - my guitarist now uses this).

Nowadays I resort to digging in fingerstyle or strumming with fingernails to get that dirtier vibe - this doesn't make my preamp overdrive it just gets more buzz and treble and string noise out of the instrument.

The distorted bass work on both Audioslave and RATM is definitely a high point for me. That sound on 'People Of The Sun' is just ridiculous. Geezer is another inspiration for that dirty sound, but in a much sloppier less funk manner. And Bootsy and Larry Graham for their fuzzmanship.

Alex

I have 3 distortion pedals and can't remember the last time any were used.

In general though I'd say it's when a song calls for it.

One distortion pedal w/ fuzz and overdrive options. I use it when called for -- like the wise man quoted above said.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I use an Ampeg SVT + 215 cab model on my Digitech GNX4 for probably 1/3 of the songs we do in church, plus very occasionally I'll use a Big Muff Pi stompbox model in the same processor for face-melting distortion. I'm trying to work out a sound that has the GK-like overdriven lows but clean highs on the GNX4...haven't put enough time into working up that sound just yet (it's a matter of combining two models, I think). The Ampeg model works pretty well...it's buzzy without a cabinet model, but the 215 or 810 cab model takes a lot of the buzz out by taking the highs out. That low frequency distortion has this sort of punch to it that's really difficult to duplicate with EQ only. It's somewhat subtle...you don't "hear" the overdrive unless you're specifically listening for it. I like it.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived