Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Do you use a distortion pedal?

sduross

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a lot of home recording stuff. Not too often live, I can get any dist I need out of my amp.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I am very "Anti Distortion". When guitarist first started using distortion, mainly in rock music, To me, it sounded horrible. I thought, in most cases, guitarist used distorion to cover up poor playing. It does a good job in that respect.

If I were to use electronics, I would probably use a small amount of compression and a small amont of delay/echo/chorus/octave style of effect to fill out the space. I still think a good player, does not need anything. But, I'm not a good player, so my opinion is worthless.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Eh, I chose not to vote. This is all too sbujective for me. :)

Anyhow, yes, I do use one if the music calls for it. I like it best with harder rock and metal. But even those styles benefit from a cleaner sounding bass.

For my money, Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse has a great, clangy sounding but full frequency tone that works well with that band's brand of death metal. His tone does distort slightly, but it's more due to the preamp of his Ampegs being hit with a lot of gain, esp. from his Modulus 5 strings.

As for guys that use distortion, my faves are Blacky of Voivod (from the 1980's; he's now a graphic designer/Industrial-techno-experimental musician), Jo Bench of Bolt Thrower, and Chris Squire of Yes.

Its a strong case of what is needed for the song.

Heavy rock tunes crave a little dirt in the lower end (maybe more over-driven than distortion)

In a jazz or ballad I want it nice 'n clean maybe a little chorus.

You can get your own growl with a fretless when you get on it.

I would though like a spilt signal with a clean tone backing up the dirty one, You tend to lose the bottom when the square waves come.

Another Happy New Year post!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I use distortion at times just for experimenting and a change of pace but I don't think I'd use it other then by myself. Sometimes I use a little for a little overdrive but at times I'll blaze it up just for laughs. Try playing Silent Night with massive distortion sometime (through a Boss Metal Zone). :eek:;)

Cheers

Newf

Depends on which band I'm playing with.

I regularly play in a metal band (Charlie Drown) and for everything I have some overdrive going with my SWR Interstellar Overdrive preamp. Then for certain songs I also kick on a Sansamp BDDI for some extra nastiness.

With my band Half Zaftig I use distortion for certain songs, both live and in the studio.

Most other bands I work with it's just clean and phat. :cool:

I have 3 distortion pedals and can't remember the last time any were used.

In general though I'd say it's when a song calls for it.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I play a few types of metal. Depending on the type dictates if I use distortion, and how much. Sometimes it's the GT2, and sometimes if I'm cool with hitting hard, I can crank the drive on my BDDI, both by Tech 21. There is one artist I play for that has a Louisiana style blues song going on. On the album the bass player uses quite a bit of dirt, so I do as well. It all depends... not all the time.. but SURE.. I use distortion.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

When I used to play in a 5-piece rock band (heavy, but not necessarily metal), I didn't find the need to use distortion playing live. But ever since I started playing in a 3-piece, I find myself using more and more of it (overdrive, really, rather than an all out fuzz, from a BDDI or my Demeter overdrive). I've got more sonic space to fill without a second guit and sometimes that space seems best filled by a quality or character rather than a quantity of notes - although I only use overdrive and an envelope filter beyond what I get out of my amp/pre. The song is still king as to when it gets used.

I used one this weekend for a few Ben Folds tunes. It was OK, but I honestly don't know if I want to spend money on a pedal I use for parts of 3 songs.

I really like my signal clean these days. Only one of the tunes really NEEDS distortion so maybe we can do something else instead.

Originally posted by Rocky MacDougall:

I am very "Anti Distortion". When guitarist first started using distortion, mainly in rock music, To me, it sounded horrible. I thought, in most cases, guitarist used distorion to cover up poor playing. It does a good job in that respect.

Rocky, I know where you're coming from but in my opinion the guitarists were merely seeking the tonal options that horn players had. Saxophonists had been using distorted sounds by overblowing in blues contexts and the in free jazz and trumpet players had used wah-wah since at least the thirties. The expansion and development of electronic effectsjust gave guitatists so many tonal and colouring options.

For bassists, it has always been different. Effects are always an add-on. I don't use any effects 99% of the time thoug at home right now I am experimenting with the echo thing.

I would love to get an envelope filter, and octave pedal and some kind of fuzz pedal to play with - but I doubt I'd get to use them much on gigs. Though I have been asked to join a free-jazz tentet - maybe I'll borrow some pedals!

I leave the distortion channel of my MXR DI+ on all the time, but I have it turned down and blended in minimally. If I want a BIG SCARY MONSTER DISTORTION, I use my Z.Vex Fuzz Factory, but I don't use that too often.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I don't use one, and voted thusly.

However, I have been considering one for the same reasons Empiremark stated- being in a 3-piece, I think it might thicken the signal and help have less "drop-out" when the guitarist takes a lead. And I want one that can blend in the distortion without loosing any bottom end.

The stomp-box review in last month's BP has helped fuel the fire, too. I was really interested in the MXR Blowtorch; still like the features but didn't like the clip BP had in the review. I am, however, very interested in the Halo Rustrider and the Homebrew Hematoma; and a bit curious about the GK Dieseldog and Tech 21 XXL. Guess I need to run to the store and see what I can test out.

If all else fails, I can crank the input gain on my EH Black Finger compressor and use that, if I decide not to buy another pedal.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I just got something recently, and the distortion is used quite sparingly. I'll be keeping an eye out for opportunities, but it won't be a main dish.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It's fun in practice but I wouldn't use it on stage. I prefer the tone of the bass without. Indeed it frustrates me that the bassist in Acoustic Ladyland uses distortion pretty well all the time.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Constantly.

I like the sound of the bass with and without. When I was with a three-piece, I used it for a little extra noise, and for covers that called for it. Now, since I'm the only person on stage, I add distortion just because I like it.

My favorite distortion sound was a chain of five VST plugins running on a laptop. But that was a bit too clumsy to use onstage.

• 2 months later...

Hi! My name is John and I have become a distortion wh0R3......

I use it throughout 2 of my band's original songs: "Ball Bat Beating" and another called "Let The Water".

I hope to have samples of both songs up soon.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Recently I've been playing with a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor on all the time set to a very mild overdrive. When I play with a light touch the tone is clean; the dirt increases with a varying degree of attack. It reminds me of the sound you get when you overdrive the preamp stage of an old SVT that's cranked up to '11'.

I kick in the ZVex Woolly Mammoth when I want to melt faces off.

Archived