Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Flea FX

h364

For some time its puzzled me, but how would someone get a sound very similar to flea's, i know the pedals he uses i hav them myself.

Like how would you get the kind of funky sound he gets on songs like: Give it Away and by the way ect.

Any ideas, is it the fact that he only until recently only played basses with a pickup at the neck position, or the pedals or what.

I was hoping for something to punch into my GT-6B.

Cheers, Harrison

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's in the electronics, it is probably in the Fingers. Flea plays that stuff for the money, he really is a Jazz lover and a lot of his Funk comes from the Jazz swimming around in his brain. IMHO

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I would go for the fingers, try and do this, record yourself playing a simple line, and after ask a friend to play the same line with the same gear, will sound diferent. The fingers make at least 50% of the sound IMHO

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Definitely all about the fingers Harrison, however, I was really into Flea for a while there and if you really want to sound like him...

get a Music Man Stingray, that will cover most of the sounds. The "sound" on my favorite RHCP album Blood Sugar Sex Magic is again, however, not a Stingray but a Wal bass. I'm not sure what model.

The point is this, he has played many basses over the years and he always sounds like Flea. I think it's perfectly natural to want to sound like our favorite players but just keep in mind that you have your own sound too. Embrace it, don't fight it!

What the two posters above said. The only way to sound like flea is just to keep playing his stuff and try and get the feel and accents. Just to add, from what ive seen of Fleas playing he tends to dig in very much, theres alot of attack on each note. Probably from his punk days. Try playing around with various attack on the strings and see which sounds better.

If you're only interested in an equipment point of view, I believe that during the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album Flea was using a Musicman Stingray and they can have a relatively distinctive sound.

As far as pedals goes hes used an envelope-filter, autowah and one of those dunlop bass wahs but none of those were used in Blood Sugar Sex Magik (that I can remember that is) mostly used in his earlier stuff like Coffee Shop.

How do you develop your sound? It usually comes from many sources. Today it may be Flea, Next month it may be Jaco. Next year, who knows. This is good that you begin to admire the differnt sounds of well known players. After you have blended the sounds of many, you willl become, YOU. That is what your after. Someday, someone will be asking "How does Harrison get that sound"? I want to try that.

Rocky :thu:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by stenner:

As the above post said, check out that link! You can see flea playing without any electrics yet you can still tell it's flea. You can see how agressive his finger picking really is.

It sounds like he has no amplifier.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Two things I know about Flea.

1) He hits his strings very hard... has the "hit each note like it's your last" attitude. So much of it is in his personallity.

2). Flea uses GK amps. He used to use the 800RB, now he uses the 2001RB. The are solid state, and that may have something to do with the attack and response time.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Off the top of my head, Flea has used FX on less than 10 songs across all the RHCP albums.

And in roughly chronological order, the following basses have been used to record the albums:

Musicman StingRay

Spector NS2

Wal

Alembic Epic

Modulus Flea

Fender Jazz

All these basses sound pretty different but with Flea playing them they sound remarkably Flea.

Alex

In this Bass Player TV interview, that was put up earlier by Zuma, it shows, I think the very hard attack that Flea uses. He plays what I would call very "Rough" and loud even on an unamplified instrument. This is a very unique and distinctive style, in my opinion.

Rocky

http://www.bassplayer.tv/

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

It's in his fingers and his attack. And the secret weapon, you know it, a pair of pants made from (formerly) stuffed animals.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j65/bottomgottem/FleaOld.jpg

WORD! :thu:

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Archived