Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer Based Recording

h364

Hi guys, i got my GT-6G for my birthday today, its absolutly amzing truely flawless, buy anyway, i used to have a zoom b2.1u that had usb output straight to the computer for recording, the qaulity wasnt great but it was ok for what i was doing.

The boss being more high end, has midi in out, stereo di out, stereo 1/4' out, and digital out. Really i wanted to know a really cheap way of recording this onto my computer using these outputs, cheers, Harrison

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you only want to record the bass, Edirol (Roland's synth and computer branch) has a S/PDIF interface called the UA-EX1 that should do the trick.

If you want to do more than that, I like the M-Audio Firewire Solo, which is about $200, or the Tascam US-122L USB, which is about $150. The Tascam comes with Cubase LE, which is a bonus.

I've had the Tascam US-122 for about 3 years now. Though it's not boo-ya unit, I've been very happy with what I've used it for. It's very easy to use, has a built in tuner program, and most important a monitor mix, so you don't deal with any latency issues while recording. It does have to inputs that you can record with at once. So sometimes, I record keys, or drum machine in stereo. At times, I'll run two lines of bass, one dry and one with Sans Amp or total distortion, I've used it to re-amp guitars even.

Yes, I can tell a difference when I hear my freinds Pro Tools Digi 002, but I make a lot of recordings and I hear many nice things with the simple interface I use as well. Many of my friends complain they can't get into computer recording without spendin a fortune, and I always tell them about the US-122. It's such a good bang for the buck.

If by any chance you are looking in the $500 range, may I suggest the MOTU Ultralite. I've been looking to upgrade for a bit now and I've done my research big time. One thing I found is lots of people have their units in the $100 range, then it always jumps to $500.

Don't forget to budget in software. You can get Cubase LE for $99. I've been using Cubase SX for a year now and everything I've found on protools I've foundon here.

Best of luck.

Mike

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

The main thing that I miss from Pro Tools when I switch back to Cubase is easy sidechaining. But I miss my VST effects when I use Pro Tools, so I guess it's kind of a wash.

I do think it makes sense, if you can spend the money, to invest in an M-Powered-compatible interface. You may well want to run Pro Tools eventually, M-Powered is relatively cheap and very powerful, and the hardware can also be used with other applications.

I have a Tascam US-122 as well and have found it a dream to work with. If you have a lap top you can plug in via the US-122 or equivalent and play with headphones on. This is how I practice most nights. Dial up a drum rhythm and off you go.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived