Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Depression

Rocky McDougall

I recently completed my 50th class reunion where my old high school band got together and played a few songs. I practiced very hard for this event. Got the musicians together from all over the US chose the music and conducted the rehearsals via email. I practiced the songs over and over for 4 months to get my part down perfectly. The show went well, I was pleased with our performance. Now, I have slipped into a musical depression. I don't practice very often, I don't even listen to music as much as I used to. I know this is a "let down" "Come down" period after the event. I was not expecting it to happen and now I am disgusted with myself for falling into this condition.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this or something similar?

Rocky :(

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, wow, more times than I can count. Don't be disgusted with yourself! This is just a natural part of the ebb and flow of doing anything, whether it's music or something else. When you're that focused on something for so long, sometimes it's nice to just take a break. Then you can come back at it all refreshed and maybe with a new goal in mind to work toward. But for heaven's sake, go easy on yourself! Forcing yourself to practice when you don't want to can be counterproductive, at least it is for me.

clatteramy said it best. It is indeed a natural progression and will go it's course.

Give yourself a break!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Is it 'musical' depression, or just 'blah's' in general? I'm sure it is quite common for that to occur after a highly atticipated goal has been reached successfully. There is probably somewhat of an 'adrenalin' let down, and the question of 'now what' always remains. Another 'musical' target to prepare for would seem to be the ultimate antidote, if one is available. I have experienced the same in various things, but probably on smaller scales. I have always become easily bored with doing one thing, jobs, hobbies, etc., I have spread my interests out in order to always be interested in pursueing something enjoyable. I would suggest diving into your other interests if they exist, if not, develope some. Personally, besides music, (which is split between pro and hobby) I am a small time collector of rare (as rare as I can find) books, paper items, and vinyl LP's. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt whenever I enter the thrift shop jungle. But that's me. I have to have variety. I'm 55. The longest job I ever held was 6 years....I don't know how I stayed that long.

Let me end with this, it is something simple that I began telling myself years ago whenever I began to feel depressed about 'anything'..........'there is 'always' someone much worse off than I'. With your years of wisdom, I'm sure you already realize that.......but sometimes it's easy to forget.

I think I see 2 things here that may have come into play:

1) You had a task to perform and was very busy preparing for that task which gave you something to do and a goal to work towards. Now without a challenge like that you find yourself with more time on your hands which allows you to "think" too much.

2) Now that you are possibly thinking too much and reflecting; beneath it all you may be thinking about your classmates and who was not there and how many are left which gives sort of a reality check on life.

It sounds to me like to need a new task or challenge to keep you occupied.

I am only saying this (I don't know what you do) because when I slow down, I think too much and get a little depressed. That is why I always need a task or challenge to focus my attention on.

I hope this helps. Get busier!

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

It's tough coming off a musical high like that.

My friend did the same thing for his 25th reunion a couple years back -- got the old band back to gether -- these were the guys who inspired me to start playing, so I drove over to tech for them for the evening (run sound, haul gear, keep the instruments in tune, etc.) and let them enjoy themselves.

They played everything from the Rolling Stones to the Moody Blues, and pretty much just tore the place went down. I've never seen a crowd go wild like that -- I actually thought women were going to start throwing underwear.

Get back in the saddle, man. That's the best way to get over the depression -- start playing as much as you can, especially with other folks. Even if you have to force yourself.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Thanks everyone, I knew the answer to my problem but I just wanted to vent.

A friend of mine was a excellant trial lawyer. He would prepare for months and months to go to trial and always did a wonderful job for his clients and almost never lost a case. After winning a big one he would go into serious depression for weeks upon weeks. Then he would get a new case and start all over again.

So, I'm starting a new project, planning for my next 50th reunion.

:wave:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Glad you did, Rocky. We've all been there from time to time it's good to share ideas and strategies. It happens to me most when I return to London from LA, particularly as this often coincides with the end of the school holidays. I'll try to remembe rthe good advice on this thread next time it happens.

Archived