Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neck and pickup issues on Jazz Bass V

groover

Okay, so I've owned my Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 for a couple months now and I'm beginning to notice a couple problems. The one that most concerns me is the with the neck. When this bass was given to me the neck had a pretty serious forward bow, but after a few days of making one 1/4" adjustment per day the neck straightened out nicely and after a complete set up was flawless. After a couple days, however, I noticed that the neck started bowing forward slightly. I made another 1/4" turn and everything was fine again... at least for another couple days. This has been the continuing story for the past couple months, I make a small adjustment and its fine for a day or two or maybe a week and then it moves. It doesn't move very far, the action at the 12th fret will go from 3/32" to about 4/32"(1/8"), but I would like it to stay where I set it. The truss rod has gotten tighter but feels like it still has plenty of travel left.

This bass was left in a basement untouched for a few years before it came into my possesion. Is it just going to take more time and patiences for the neck to stabilize? Should I be concerned? If it doesn't stabilize soon I will probably take it to a good pro tech, but is there anything else I could try in the meantime?

Second, I love the sound of this bass and wouldn't even dream of replacing the pickups except that they are typical noisey single coil Jazz bass pickups. Does anyone know if the Fender Noiseless 5 string Jazz pickups will fit into a 2001 MIM Jazz 5? I remember something about the Mexican series Jazz basses having non-standard sized pickups, does that apply to the 5 string also, and if so does any of the manufacturers make a direct replacement?

The noise is not a huge issue. I used this bass in the studio a couple weeks ago and didn't have a noise problem, it only seems to happen when I'm playing live with a lot of lights. Even then the noise supressor in my Boss processor takes care of it while I'm not playing and its hardly noticeable when I am playing. If I can get a direct replacement I might replace them, if not I'm not going to bother.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The issue with the truss rod worries me. The only reason that I can think of is, that the threads are stripped or the other end of the rod is pulling out of it's anchor. First I would remove the nut and check the threads for any sign of stripping. If it is the other end, the truss rod will have to be replaced.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Rocky MacDougall:

The issue with the truss rod worries me. The only reason that I can think of is, that the threads are stripped or the other end of the rod is pulling out of it's anchor. First I would remove the nut and check the threads for any sign of stripping. If it is the other end, the truss rod will have to be replaced.

Rocky

Ouch! I hope a truss rod replacement is not in order here! I've dealt with stripped threads on many other occasions and it just doesn't feel that way to me. I make an adjustment and the neck responds as it should, it just slips back a little after a few days. I've let it go a while once to see if it would continue bow, but it seemed to stay at the 1/8" spot. It seems to like that particular spot for some reason.

I guess it makes sense if the rod is slipping out of its anchor, if that is the case I don't know if a MIM Jazz is worth that level of corrective surgery. Maybe if it comes to that I'll shop for a good used or new replacement neck.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

groover, if the trus rod needs replacing, I think the best thing to do is to find a Fender replacement neck on Ebay. Or, go with a High quality aftermarket neck. I think you can do that for less money than replacing the rod.IMHO

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Big Daddy I sure hope your right. I'm not going to do anything with it for a while to make sure its not going to stabilize on its own. However, I do like to look at the worse case scenario as well as all the options so I am at least mentally prepared.

I agree with BD. If the neck had a serioius forward bow for a couple of years, then it needs some time to adjust...and stay adjusted. I think that you'll eventually see more and more time elapse between any necessary neck adjustments. And remember, a 5 is a substantial piece of wood!

Good Luck to You!

Jimmie ThunderLizard

groover, if the basement where the bass was stored was damp, it may be that the wood's moisture content needs time to stabilize and dry. As mentioned above don't rush to condem it. However; I would think two months would have been enough time. Give it some more time to stabilize.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

As for the pick-ups - I have always had this problem when Fender PUs. I've had them picking up car radios, cordless mics, hearing aid loops etc. I recently replaced my Jazz PUs with Nordstrand noiseless. Bit extreme really - it depends how much it bothers you. As for dimensions - just email them the accurate cavity dimensions to carey@nordstrandpickups.com and Stew will probably respond. They're very good like that.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived