Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i thought only oasis had the stones to pull this...

rumpelstiltskin.

this kind of recycling isn\'t good for the environment .

oasis recycled the chord progression from "wonderwall" and used it again in "d'you know what i mean?". it's not new. but it really bothered me when oasis did it.

it may not be well known, though, that i like oasis. it is probably generally understood that i do not like nickelback. so it is that much more grating when they recycle a terribly bad song.

robb.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice link. It is the same progression. I had never noticed before since I also do not pay them very much attention.

Well...except for "Figure You Out", which I will crank up if it's on the radio and the kids aren't in the car with me.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I really don't understand the big deal about reusing chord sequences - what about the 12 bar blues? Charlie Parker and his mates reused chord progressions all the time. Coltrane even put two tunes on the same album with his New chord change idea - Giant Steps and Countdown. Mahavishnu used to do it too.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Oasis and Nickelback are in the same category! ;)

The Isley Brothers redid their hit "It's Your Thing" - playing the same music but writing new lyrics - with "Bless Your Heart".

I don't hear much Nickleback but one hit of theirs I heard recently really reminded me, in the verse section I think, of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time." Maybe Captain Lou Albano is in the Nickleback video....

A song, like it or not, is lyrics set to a melody. That's it.

Awesome riffs, hooky bass lines, instantly recognized drum beats ... none of that counts.

And neither does chord progressions.

Is it in poor taste to steal another's chord progression? Surely. If you really came up with the same thing in a vacuum, well, ok. Believable maybe if you cop'd something that's four decades old and doesn't get any air time. Your contemporary? C'mon, that's pretty obvious.

Is it ok to steal from yourself? Well, I guess it depends. Like Phil said, something like a 12 bar blues is open season. For someone like me that didn't grow up in the '50s, it certainly sounds like everything was I (vi) IV V back then. (Yes, I'm oversimplifying.)

The one that makes me cringe the most is the Spin Doctors. "Pocket Full Of Kryptonite" and the other one. I don't like either, so to hear it twice is rather unpleasant.

The Kinks, on the other hand, are more than welcome to have "All Day And All Of The Night" and "Paranoia". It's fun to start it at a jam without vocals. Everyone usually thinks "All Day" and then I lead into the change for "Paranoia" and everybody freaks until they catch up. ;)

i used to play in a band that did both "sweet home alabama" and "werewolves of london". we never did both in the same set.

i understand the idea that there are a finite number of chord progressions. however, i think it speaks more to the creativity of a band when they cop their own work.

in the case of oasis, they used the same chord progression, but the song sounded completely different. it was still kind of sad, though.

in this case, it's really the exact same song. there is almost nothing different about it. it's not like they've forgotten their breakthrough hit. they just knew they could cash a check. bully for them, but i expect more from my own songwriting, and more from the bands i respect.

robb.

What about "unconcious plagarism"? If it had been anyone but George Harrison who came of with "My Sweet Lord" to the EXACT same melody - almost to the note - as The Shirelles' "He's So Fine", would the courts have ruled some other way?

Modern pop and hip-hop cop lines from other songs all the time. I guess I could suffer some of it if the artist was somehow unique and the application different.

My son playing guitar riffs to songs that his favorite new bands are covering songs that I played when I was a kid is just plain creepy...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Nickelback seems to relish languishing in mediocrity whilst enjoying some level of success. It really is strange. I can't say that I'm surprised to hear that they've reused a progression over again. Frankly a lot of their work has sounded formulaic. I saw them around 1999. I wasn't impressed then and I'm still not impressed now.

But then the music business has become much more about business than music, and if Nickelback continues to sell units, then the business people in the music business will continue to push them down the willing throats of the the listening audience. How's that for an angry run-on sentence?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

NickLab, REO speedwagon comes to mind when you say that.

We switch out the lyrics on Sweet Home for Werewolves of London.. gets people scratchin there heads.

Look at RHCP and Tom Petty(last dance with maryjane) Was it on purpose? I cannot see RHCP ripping that riff.. it just sounds good and works.

I would think/hope class comes into play but that is not always the case. You lock yourself up in a studio and start recording and come up with this great hook. It sounds awesome (almost a hit) You work it all out then realize its 'Runnin' with the Devil' with pop lyrics...ouchie.

The brain recalls the weirdest things (melodies) at the most awkward moments.

BUT, doing that to your own music. Pathetic comes to mind (for me that is oasis). Nickelback, rock band grabbing that straight ahead R&R crowd/market. We cover some of their tunes. People like it, we like people... more so we like peoples $$$. Win Win.

So back to learning "Rockstar" (5-10 minutes I will never get back!)

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Originally posted by Brocko777:

The brain recalls the weirdest things (melodies) at the most awkward moments.

that reminds of this interview with steve vai :

The cut preceding "Fire Garden Suite" is called "Bangkok." A funny story goes with that tune: I have this huge stack of written music, and I usually hand this stuff to these guys that type it into the computer for me. Then I listen to it via MIDI. If I like it, I'll work on it. A lot of the stuff I do starts with this process. I had this one piece called "Taurus Bulba," and I liked it because it sounded like Saturday morning at the slave market. [laughs] So I ended up doing a 13-minute arrangement around the thing, and that was the first movement of the suite.

I sent it to my manager, and when her boyfriend heard it, he said, "Oh, that's from an English play called Chess," which was written by Tim Rice and the two guys from Abba-I forget their names. She says, "No, Steve wrote that," and he says, "No, it's from Chess!" So she got the soundtrack album from the play and played it to me over the phone, and I thought I was dreaming. I thought, "How can this be?! This is exactly the way I wrote the song-these guys ripped me off!"

Then, a friend of mine called to tell me he had a bootleg David Lee Roth video with a song on it called "Taurus Bulba," and he played that for me over the phone. Then it all came back to me. In the Eat `Em And Smile days, we used to have this set change, and one day we needed a piece of music for it. Dave handed me a tape and said, "Transcribe this, and let's play this during the set change." So, I wrote the whole thing out and threw it in with my pile of written music. Ten years later, it gets typed into the computer, and when I hear it, I think, "Oh, that's pretty nice, I'll work on that song." I was pretty shocked when I found out that I hadn't written it, because I couldn't believe that I had absolutely no recollection of transcribing it in the first place! So, that's why it now exists as a separate track and is not formally part of the suite.

robb.

I was working up Zep's "Dyer Maker" as our drummer wants to do it. Noticed that it was o-so similar to "Teenager In Love". (your band does have a sing-a-long tune, doesn't it?)

What other "twins separated at birth" tunes can you think of?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived