Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alembic SF-2 Superfilter

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about one for years too, but never fooled around with one.

I think it is comperable to the filtering circuit on Alembic's basses or replacement eletronic kits, which is how I'm thinking of the unit as I have Alembic electronics on a rick bass and one hell of a run on sentence, don't ya' think?

If the comparision is valid, then the superfilter would be a powerful tone shaping tool, which would be useful if you play with a lot of different people and find the need to sound different to blend in well with each different project. That is what I find the Alembic filters on the rick bass does. On the bass you can do some neat "wah" tricks with it but I don't think that you could really get away with that on the rack mount unit. When I spoke to the people at Alembic they said it was a much more powerful tool for tone than the onboard stuff.

Oh, and from what I understand it can be used as a preamp, so you could go right from your bass into it and then into a power amp.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

My interest in this thing was sparked after talking to Alembic about buying the same electronics package that is in my Alembic bass I already own. I was thinking about buying the same package for a project bass that I want to build. When Valentino told me the price (and I collected my jaw off the floor) I gave BassNW a call to discuss other options.

The people at Alembic were very helpful to talk to and very informative. It's obvious that they care about their products and their customers.

If BassNW has one of these in stock I'm going to go check one out this week.

Have you ever played through the Alembic rackmount preamps? If you're thinking about adding the superfilter to your existing rig then it may not matter, but for me I would be choosing either one of their preamps or the superfilter "as" a preamp in front of a power amp to become my primary bass amp. So, how you're planning to use it would influence if you want compare it to Alembic's preamps or not.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I've got an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp right now that is most groovy. I'm curious what the SF-2 would do in the effects loop or maybe sitting in front of the SVP. I'm going to bring my current rack with me to get the full effizznect. I'm just making words up now.

Archived