Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just test drove a Line 6 LD175

jar546

OK, so I am new to the bass but learning quickly. My dilema, if you want to call it that is buying my first official amp setup whether it be a combo or separate units.

I have agonized over what I actually need. I have a small Kustom in the house that I use to plug my headphones into. But what happens after I progress? What will I do with my new found love and improving skills as my confidence builds?

Knowing that I am a "newbie" means to me that I am not in a hurry to get an amp setup just yet. I have plenty of practice amp time in front of me. It is probably the fact that I am looking for a particular sound that is sending me out to the stores to test drive and getting bored with my 10w practice amp. You can only get so much out of 10w as if you don't already know that. So,....what to do.....that is the question.

So far I test drove the Hartke models, a nice Yorkville, Fender Rumble 100, Ashdown and most recently the Line 6 LD 175. The store that I go to has them all and have been pushing the Hartke. They do carry Mesa but I just can't see me buying a Mesa setup as a new guy. You can have all the fancy gear you want but it is all useless unless you can play.

Here is how I see it. Remember, I am novice material but I would like to share some of my experience with shopping. I do like the Hartke and prefer paper over aluminum, did not like the Ashdown, was not thrilled with the Fender Rumble, thought the Yorkville was pretty good but then I tried the LD 175. I think all of the effects sold me. I am not a "gadget geek" but the variety of sounds that came out of that amp really impressed me. The price is comparable (spelling) with other brands so I am now leaning that way. I did want to test drive one of the SWR combo models but can't find one in my area. The store owner told me that the LD 175 is newer, they only sold about 5 of those units and have not received any complaints nor feedback. His is not sure how the unit will hold up so he steered my toward Hartke since they have been around for awhile.

Did anyone else try out the LD 175. I am really thinking about buying it. I can read all the reviews that I want on the internet but would like to hear more on this message board.

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried out a Line 6 once when trying basses. I don't remember which one it was, but I think it was a 15" combo.

I was trying basses, not amps, so the Line 6 was set clean and flat. There were alot of different settings and sounds but I personally liked it clean the best, considering I didn't tinker with it much.

Your attitude of taking your time choosing an amp is a good way to go. That way you'll have a better handle on what's out there and what you like. Patience is your friend.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I used a borrowed LD175 for a small gig and was thoroughly unimpressed. I just could not find a sound that I liked very much and I found the controls to not be very intuitive. I would turn a eq knob slightly and everything else would change. This is a problem that I have with all Line6 gear, you click on a preset then try to make one small adjustment and everything changes to where the knobs are currently set. This has more than once caused problems with me during a live gig and is probably one of the biggest reasons why I don't like their stuff and digital amp modeling in general.

Bottom line: I'd rather have a good solid old fashioned analog amp with good strait forward tone then a digital modeling amp with a bunch of processed tones that try to emulate a good old fashioned analog amp with good strait forward tone. But thats just me... some people like the versatility, I just don't find it all that useful.

Well groover since you are only 2 hours south of me I think it would be a bad choice up here in my air too. This is why I am happy that I am not in a hurry. I will be able to hear plenty of stories and opinions from plenty of others.

Thanks & keep the opinions coming.

Originally posted by jar546:

Well groover since you are only 2 hours south of me I think it would be a bad choice up here in my air too. This is why I am happy that I am not in a hurry. I will be able to hear plenty of stories and opinions from plenty of others.

Thanks & keep the opinions coming.

:wave: Hey jar546, other than our brethren from Philadelphia there doesn't seem to be too many people in this forum that are from PA. Maybe someday we'll get to hook up.

Anyway, it's good that your not in a hurry. Play through every amp you can get your hands on and find what you like and dislike about all of them. Once you get a good sense of what you want to get, find a used one and save a few bucks. Its good to seek opinions (I'm usually very quick to give an opinion if I've had experience with the item in question), but keep in mind that they're just opinions. I think someone else on the board said something like: "one mans junk gadget is anothers secret sonic weapon." If in the end that Line6 combo is what you really like and it inspires you, go for it. The friend that I borrowed the LD175 from loves it and would give you a very favorable opinion of it.

If you do like the sound(s) of the Lowdown amp and you purchase it, you'll have to get used to its interface and accept the fact that your ability to edit a patch on the fly will be limited. Personally, if I want a little more midrange, I like to just turn the mid knob with out having to worry about messing up the whole preset. Some would consider this minor and even nit-picking, but I find it to be frustrating. You'll have to decide that yourself.

Now don't get me started on Hartke gear... :D

I am just starting out but practicing several hours a day plus I changed my lessons from weekly 1/2 hour sessions to every 2 weeks for one hour. I just can't see the benefit of a 1/2 hour lesson. That reminds me, I have to call my instructor to schedule my next one.

Hopefully we will run into each other since you are relatively close. There are a ton of bands that play up in my area every weekend.

I would say that a more simple rig would be in order. I would suggest keeping things seperate. Get a head and a cab that will do alone. Then when you need an effect get that pedal. The reason I say this is that many people never learn to use each piece well because they have so many things to learn at once. If you can learn to dial in an eq and know what you are looking for there you have learned a great deal IMO. Then you know how to eq your effects and can consintrate on them.

Also, I have not liked any line 6 gear. I am the type of person that likes programed presets, but there amps dont sound right to me, and as someone said up above, they are not as intuative.

Maybe im too old (23) but those damned digital amps just aint right i reckin.

Jonathan

I like the level-headed approach you are taking.

I'd give some thought to what kind of playing situation you think you'll be in. Will you be rocking big time in a bar (load), playing in church/synagogue/temple/etc. (medium), or doing coffee house work with a singer-songwriter (low)? (hopefully the answer becomes "all of the above")

One thing to remember is that in the louder situations, it's hard to tell what the amp will sound like in a store playing alone. Sometimes a tone that's "OK" in a store might be great in a band.

I've also played the LD combos in stores and thought they were pretty good. Much of the "extras" are wasted on me, and I doubt I'd buy one. I don't know why you put Mesa "up there" other than price (though I didn't think they were that expensive). You don't have to box yourself out of anything (except because of cost). Sometimes used items pop up as a way to get a different type of rig for less.

Keep testing rigs, keep playing, and see about some local live shows. Sometimes it gives you a suggestion about other rigs to buy.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'd like to hear what the new Roland DB combos can do. I think the Line 6 combos miss the point for bass by just transferring guitar concepts across - whilst Roland have focused onto the real challenges for bass, which is maximising bottom, clarity and loudness from a compact lightweight amp, using similar technology to Bergantino's IP cabs.

Alex

I tried a new Roland 2x10 combo. I didn't really like it. I didn't think it had any more low end than any other combo I've tried. It was very clear and seemed to be loud, but I didn't dig the tone. I thought the Cube 100 next to it sounded better.

I use a Pod at church - the Eden setting so it's similar to what I'm used to at home - and it works fine. We go DI/PA/monitor so it's a perfect situation for a Pod. I really like it.

I've tried to get myself to like the Pod for my own rig. I think it's a really good all-in-one solution for bass. I guess I just wouldn't use all the features so I stay away. As some have said in other discussions about Line 6 stuff, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

If the combo sounds good to you, that's what you should use.

Archived