Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do Fenders normally have harder to turn truss rods?

Edro

I've used the search function with no luck. Maybe a few Fender experts here can help me out with this.

I was recently fine tuning the MIM P-Bass and had to lessen some forward bow. The past few years I've had a couple Carvins, which have a really smooth turning truss rod. The P's is kind of "sticky" compared to them. Not sure how to better describe it. Is this a common thing because they have a chunkier neck? The only other P-Bass I have owned is a Squier. That hasn't needed an adjustment in the two years I've had it.

So far, the adjustment seems to have worked,I'll check again later just to make sure. Something about it doesn't seem right to me though. Just want to make sure before taking it back and saying there is a problem when there isn't one.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fenders are no different than any others in my opinion. If this is an older bass, the truss rod nut may need cleaning and lubricating. Truss rods will break if nut is gaulded or rusted.

Be Careful.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

This bass is less than one year old. The nut looked fine when I turned it, no rust that I could see.

Wish they'd go with an "outie" instead of the countersunk, it would make things a lot easier IMO.

Having stripped the truss-rod "bullet" 30 years ago, I'm a bit cautious these days...

...in my experience, the 70s fenders and 2000+ Squiers have very simplistic truss-rod mechanisms - they seem to feel "clukier". My (mid/low-end) Ibanez, on the other hand operates very smoothly.

I highly recommend loosening the strings before adjusting the truss-rod. As I recall, there is over 100lbs of pressure exerted on just a 4-string bass (more strings = more tension). When the strings are loose, the rod should turn "freely", although on a Squier it might take a little more "oomph" to make it turn. I'd expect a MIM to be similar to a Squier re: the truss-rod mechanism.

If it's sticky, loosen the nut all the way, take it out and lubricate it with petroleum jelly. But be warned. Don't do this the night before a gig, as it'll take a few three days of tweaking before you get the neck 'just right' when you're starting from scratch on such a truss adjustment.

I only loosen the strings that are in the way of the truss rod wrench; I just flex the sombitch with my knee/foot/hand. As long as the tension is taken off the neck one way or the other when tightening, you're OK. Loosening is less critical. Extreme care is needed with some basses, like an old Ricky 4001; they used some pretty cheap metal for the truss rod material. Make TOTALLY sure that the wrench is the right size and the nut is slicked up, or you will end up with an expensive movie prop.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

If they are too hard, though, there's a problem.
It doesn't take excessive force to turn the nut. It's just not as smooth as I'm used to on other basses. After discussing this with a few other long time P-Bass owners this seems to be the norm with them, especially the MIM's. I still plan on calling the store and see what happens.

I highly recommend loosening the strings before adjusting the truss-rod.
Yeah, I do that every time. Forgot to mention that in my original post. :o

If it's sticky, loosen the nut all the way, take it out and lubricate it with petroleum jelly.
Should it loosen easily? I don't want to turn the rod any more than 1/4 at a time.

Thanks for the help,

Ed

The truss rod in my MIM Jazz doesn't turn very smoothly either. I have had to make several ajustments to it because it sat untouched in a basement for several years before it was given to me and as a result had a seriously bowed neck. I managed to get the neck set with the "sticky" truss rod with no problems.

It is much safer to loosen the strings and tighten the truss rod more than necessary then retune and loosen the nut down to where you want it and then retune again. There is much less strain on the nut and rod doing it this way.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by groover:

[QB] The truss rod in my MIM Jazz ...

Ok..im sorry, ive been trying to avoid it but it keeps getting more confusing. What does "MIM" stand for!!?

Nadu, the intergalactic

funk-grand-master

Archived