Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O.T. Chuck

Swed_bass

Well, I´m happy for just having purchased tickets to see Chuck Berry on January 26th. Now, that man is one of my true heroes, even though I read that he treats his musicans like air. He´s just turned 80 and since I´ve never seen him live, though that this would be a good time. I wonder if any of us would be playing rock ´n´ roll the way we do today, if it wasn´t for his influence in the whole developement process of rock music.
What ever...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see him live. I keep looking at some DVDs of him performing but haven't bought them yet.

Sometimes he sounds off key to me but so do the Stones. I like to listen to that and try to figure out what is going on.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I have no respect for someone who kopped all his licks from Marty McFly. :mad:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by Jonathan-dnkritr:

I dont know who Chuck Berry is.

Then take this thread as an invitation to find out. Start by reading this.

Several of my friends have played with Chuck Berry. They do not speak of this as a pleasant experience. I don't think I would want to go see him perform. The only reason would be to be able to say, "oh, yeah, I saw Chuck Berry perform."

The man was one of the major founders of rock and roll and wrote about two dozen classic songs in the 50's. It's hard to imagine rock guitar without his influence.

He has toured constantly but hasn't written anything since then. He has never toured with with a rehearsed band.

Watch the movie, Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll .

Originally posted by jeremy c:

...Several of my friends have played with Chuck Berry. They do not speak of this as a pleasant experience...
LOL I think the only people Chuck is really nice to is attractive white women. Along with the film read his autobiography, a fascinating insight into how his mind works.

I saw him in RI years ago and he seemed o.k. to the band but not really paying much attention to them either.

I've heard horror stories from people who have worked with Mr. Berry. Like Jeremy said, no rehearsals, and vague instructions like, "Watch my foot--when it goes up, you start, when it comes down, you stop."

There have also been claims that Mr. Berry took advantage of his long-time piano-playing co-writer, Johnnie Johnson, a man who was only paid for his session work but never got any royalties for his co-writing on many of Berry's biggest hits. The word is that Berry took advantage of Johnson's alcoholism to get him to work for session fees (smallish immediate payment) vs. royalties (larger payments later.)

It's kind of a shame.... I'm at odds with how I feel about Berry. He's undoubtedly a huge reason for rock n' roll... but apparently just kind of a cut-throat person.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

My wife and I played with Chuck at the HIC Arena in Hawaii in the early 70's, I think 1971. We did a half-hour set as a trio and then played with Bo Diddley for one and a half hours and took a short break and then played behind Chuch for a two hour set. He had to out do Bo hence the long show. The rehearsal was as CMDN described it. All in all it was a great show. We were recognized many times over at the airport when flying out the next day. Haven't been back to Hawaii since, hoping to get another gig there someday.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Chuck Berry had to be the distinctive guitar voice of the early days of Rock 'n Roll. The only other person I think of when I think 50's guitar is Bo Diddley.

And Wally played behind them both on one gig. Holy crap. That is just crazy-ass cool!

Push the button Frank.

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

My wife and I played with Chuck at the HIC Arena in Hawaii in the early 70's, I think 1971.

Now that´s something to remember and tell the younger generations -and us lowdowners! I´m yet to see him live while you´ve actually played with him! Now I can say that I sometimes chat with a guy who´s played with Chuck Berry. Just wait ´til I get drunk with my buddies! (4 hours gig. Aaargh!)
What ever...

A friend of a friend got fired by Chuck Berry mid-gig in the early 80's. He was the bass player. They finished the show with no bass player. According to the tale Mr. Berry did no rehearsal with the band and had no setlist. He'd simply turn around yell a song name/key the band and start playing; half the time he neglected to tell them the key. Apparently Mr. Bass Player didn't figure out the key fast enough on a number of occasions and Berry fired him right there in front of everyone. Ouch.

I'd like to see him play for the mere fact that I'd be able to say, "I saw Chuck Berry play". That is the same reason I *really* wish I could have done a gig as part of the backing band for some of the Beach Boys a few summers ago. It would be cool to be able to say, "I played with the Beach Boys". Even if it was only something like 3 of the original guys.

Definitely. I had seen Chuck before, but never saw Bo till then. You guys did a great job backing both of them. I imagine Bo's set was a bit easier. Mostly I'm glad we're both still here to talk about it & can still remember it all. LOL!
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

Archived