Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sansamp, MXR M80 DI Boxes - HELP!!!

w Alf w

Hi Everyone!

my name is Alf and I am currently looking at buying a DI box.

The reason for this is that in one of my bands i use and overdrive pedal for the whole set as the guitarist is on mostly a clean sound.

Im using a Boss bass overdrive for this and sometimes i use a Big Muff for a different sound.

The effect sounds great out of my ashdown mag300 but once it gets connected to the PA through the amp the bass loses all its balls!

I was recommended the Sansamp Bass Driver and then started looking at a MXR M80 as the distortion sound is not that great from the sansamp apparently.

My question is will I get a similar sound from the PA as my amp when the PA goes into either the sansamp or MXR M80?

cheers!

aLf ;)xx

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What size PA are you using? Does it have Subs? You can have the DI pre or post eq from the Ashdown, have you tried both?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Not real sure why using the DI out of your MAG is sucking out tone. A proper DI shouldn't have any effect on what comes out of the amplifier.

Have you had that checked out?

If you want to use a BDDI or M80 and get the same sound on stage that you get through PA that may call for getting the MAG out of the signal chain and using a power amp to drive your cabinet also.

You didn't really ask it, but there has been a ton of BDDI vs M80 discussion... it all comes doen to which one you like. Try HERE or HERE .

- Matt W.

Thanks for you speedy replies!

Its a problem i have with every venue i play.

The distortion sound from my boss pedal great out of my amp but when the amp is hooked up to the PA, the distortion sound through the PA is really tinny, the amps sound does not change.

Is there a way to get the same distortion sound out of the PA that im getting from my amp????

So far the only suggestion that has been made to me is the direct boxes... or miking up the bass amp, but no one will do that in a million years at venues apparently.

thanks aLf ;)

That sounds like a very good idea...

So I would have two sounds coming out from the bass then I suppose, do you think that would sound bad though?

If I had the DI box set so that it was on a drive setting but cut out all the treble on there then maybe that would mean i could get a decent distortion sound coming out from the PA as well... has anyone got any experience with this??

This happens at virtually every gig I play that the PA sounds all tinny so its something I probably need to work out rather than pissing off every sound engineer i meet!

aLf ;)

Well, I dont know the amp well.... but I'm guessing that you have an EQ on the amp. The eq is effecting the signal going to the cabs, but the mains just get the "direct" signal which is what is coming in through the input. There should be a way to switch it so you can include the onboard EQ. If not then the board also needs to EQ you or you need a seperate EQ for the signal you send to the board. There may be a lot of things you use on the amp for sound coloration. I am guessing none of those things are going to get sent to the PA mixer.

Miking a bass cab is not easy live but it is possible. That is another option.

Jonathan

Jonathan just explained in a little more detail than I did, the difference between the in and out position on the pre/post EQ for the DI.

Another thing to ask is who is complaining about the bass in the mix? Something that has been pointed out on this forum before is that sometimes the bass player has such a big rig on stage as his backline, that it is difficult for the soundman to mix any more bass in. His job is to reinforce the sound equally throughout the audiotorium. If he boosts the bass anymore, the front rows get swamped by the bass coming from the stage and the subs. So he may be cutting the bass in the PA mix for a reason.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I was having the same problem and bought a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI Rackmount Bass Tube Amp Emulator.

I use a T-REX Bass Juice along with a Kustom 1200 head and two Ampeg 8

x 10 classic cabs.

I was previously using a Hartke and running the balanced line out to the PA but was loosing the mids and bottom end.

This rig solved the problem and rarely has to be run through the PA at indoor gigs.

I'm using the Hartke for my backup rig.

Good luck solving your problem you just got to keep on trying.

I went through a lot of pedals and effects before finding the right setup for my situation.

I'm giging with a guitarist that's using a all tube 300 watt Ampeg head and Splawn 4 X 12 cabs. Extremely brutal. :evil:

When I go, the gear goes with me!

Therefore all my gear must be fireproof.

Wow!

Thats massive!

My student money won't go that far just yet!

Did the Tech 21 Sansamp RBI Rackmount Bass Tube Amp Emulator actually resolve the problem on its own or was it the fact that you don't even have to go into the PA anymore!?

aLf ;)

I have a sansamp the latest non-programmable footpedal. Whilst it works well I'm not sure I like the Sansamp sound that much. I tend to bypass the pre-amp for my own stage sound and just send the sansamp signal to the PA.

If I was buying again I would probably get a Countryman (highly recommended in previous posts) or the Aguilar.

Do a search on DI.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

The new programmable sansamp ones dont allow you to bypass which i thought was stupid because for the extra $10 its worth getting over the regular sansamp one...

the mxr m80 is still my first choice because there have been alot of people saying they preferred it over the sansamp one... plus the fact it has a distortion switch is a big plus for one of the bands im in.

has anyone got one of the mxr m80 pedals?

aLf ;)

Archived