Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Get Da Papers... Get Da Papers...

The Bear Jew

OK, I don't know why I used that as a title for this thread.

Probably because I was thinking about the paper cones on the speakers of my Ampeg 4x10.

So... yesterday I decided to take a look at the speakers in that cab because I thought it sounded a little funny the other day.

Popped off the grille... and... lo and behold...

The top right speaker was not just ripped... more like... erm.. blown apart?

Yeah. Blown apart... like into three chunks of black paper. Not so cute.

So, being the old-school guy that I am, I decided that a "battlefield repair" was in order. Out with the gaffer tape...

I sorta pieced the speaker back together on the floor... and then taped it back into place around the center part, which was still attached.

Amazingly... it doesn't sound bad at all. I mean, sure, it's not.. erm.. perfect... but it sounds pretty damn good for what it is--gaffer tape on a ripped speaker.

I'm obviously not going to leave the speaker as it stands... so, now the question is....

Is it best to replace all four speakers or just the one that went kerflooey?

And... what'd be the best replacement if I wanna keep it sounding old-school?

My lines are open, and I'm ready to take your calls...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd just replace the broken one with the exact same speaker.

That's quite an impressive failure - you must have been bringing a substantial amount of the rawk!

You may be able to sell the damaged speaker to JJ Burnell - I gather he prefers to give new speakers a good kicking to get this look and sound, so you can save him some time and effort. ;)

Alex

To be fair, when I got these two Ampeg cabinets (a 4x10 and a 1x15 for the princely sum of $75 for the pair), this speaker was a little... unhappy--it had a little rip in it.

I think the rip grew and grew over the past few years until it just gave up.

Mista Cohen, reconing is a good idea. I will look into it and see if I can't find someone around here to do the job. Thank you for the advice.

In the meantime, I will use it with my gaffer tape repair... and then start using my other rig while the Ampegs are in the shop.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I think you have an Ampeg SVT410HE, right? That means you'll need a 32-ohm speaker from Ampeg.

Yeah, it's the 8-ohm cab, so that makes sense. I just got off the phone with a guy who totally bent my ear about reconing vs. replacing that speaker... and if I have to go to that guy for service, my brain may start leaking out of my ears.

Where did you get two ampeg cabs for $75, thats dirt cheap!
Some guy on a local music site wanted to get rid of the speakers right away. He needed the cash. Lucky me--I was there when he posted the cabs.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Ahh....what's one speaker out of a whole bunch?Just disconnect it and put a mic one of the goodies left over. :thu:

Re-coning: I've had some good and bad results. The bad results was the time the "woofer doctor" cobbed together a cone that was too small 'cause he didn't have the right part. Anybody out there know how hard it is to do it yourself who can give some advice to us control freaks?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I can't imagine doing a recone as a do-it-yourself project.

There's an art to doing it.

You really should have the parts and the skill available to be able to restore the speaker to the way it was when it was brand new.

An experienced speaker repair person can also change the impedance of a speaker...in fact the only way to change the speaker impedance is to rebuild the whole thing.

I have seen used speakers for good prices.

Reconing is suggested because you have a large frame and a large magnet..nothing is wrong with those parts. Replacing the paper cone and perhaps the voice coil should save money...of course labor charges sometimes wipe this out.

Peavey speakers are the only ones I've ever seen where the consumer can buy replacement parts and attempt a repair.

For emergency repairs, I find that rubber cement works better than tape....it's flexible and moves as the speaker moves.

In the case of this particular speaker, glue was not an option, as the paper of the broken cone was sitting on the inside/bottom of the grille cloth/cabinet.

It looked like it kinda 'sploded out--gluing that back together would have been a ton of work that I didn't have time to do before we played.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

What failed, the paper cone or the surround? I have used the do-it-yourself kits to replace the surround. It's fairly easy. If the paper cone itself is ripped, take it to a pro for reconeing.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I was thinking of the part where you said

To be fair, when I got these two Ampeg cabinets (a 4x10 and a 1x15 for the princely sum of $75 for the pair), this speaker was a little... unhappy--it had a little rip in it.

...before it got asploded. But, yeah, sounds like it's too late now. Got pics???
- Matt W.

What failed, the paper cone or the surround? I have used the do-it-yourself kits to replace the surround. It's fairly easy. If the paper cone itself is ripped, take it to a pro for reconeing.

Rocky

The paper itself, my man. It went kerflooey like a little guy was standing on the magnet with a hammer and pounded outwards.

No pics, unfortunately, since I recently made an inadvertent donation of a digital camera to the scumbags of Camden, NJ. Long story short--I need to buy a new digital camera.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

I'd get it reconed. Cheaper than buying a new one and it should retain all it's original sound characteristics after the surgery.

This thread reminds me that I still need to get my home stereo speakers reconed. It's a pair of Advent's from the early/mid 70's. They sound like god when functioning properly.

Originally posted by CMDN:

No pics, unfortunately, since I recently made an inadvertent donation of a digital camera to the scumbags of Camden, NJ. Long story short--I need to buy a new digital camera.

Dang. Camden scumbags are... um, scumbags!!!
- Matt W.

Archived