Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The other Rickenbackers

dcr

I've been playing my Ric a lot more lately & just loving it. I've got the 4003...in other words, the bog ordinary Ric. But Ric makes some other great-looking basses, & I was wondering if folks here owned or otherwise had experience of any of these:

* The Ric 4003/4001 fretless?

* The 5-string 4003?

* The 4004 Cheyenne?

* The 5-string 4004 Cheyenne?

* The 4004 Laredo?

They make 'em...they sell 'em...but I've never seen one in person, in a shop or anywhere else. That's just weird.

Any stories to tell? Anywhere a fella could hear these played?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the train one night late and saw a guy my age with a bass. We had a great time talking bass and he has a solid collection including a 4001 and Fenders. He pulled a Ric out of the bag like nothing I'd ever seen. I think he called it an "El Dorado". Looking on the net, I found it. It felt so smooth, with a neck like your best Jazz bass. The pickups looked like modern pickups (I think the bass was from the 70s). What a beauty!

http://www.stthomasu.ca/~pmccorm/research/200seriescover.jpg

Almost as good as the bass was the band name. They do surf music and call themselves The Howling Thurstons!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I played a fretless Ric (can't remember if it was the 4001 or 4003). It felt great. The fingerboard had the best polish I'd ever seen, and the neck was extremely well rounded. It had Bartolini p-ups, which weren't to my liking, but he bass played really well. The only annoyance was the edge on the bass where you rest your arm. The thing is sharp!

I came across this guy's website:

http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/

He has an impressive collection of basses, most of them Rics, & has pictures & sound samples of fretless, 5-string, & (I think) Cheyenne basses.

Tom--cool story! I've heard of the Laredo, but not the El Dorado.

Mr K--I have to admit, that fretless Ric looks pretty darned attractive. I've heard it described as having a good upright vibe (with the right strings). What's less clear is the "mwah" factor...I do like that about the Music Man basses, e.g.

Found a picture of an El Dorado bass (2050):

http://www.stthomasu.ca/~pmccorm/research/2050eldorado.jpg

Also, www.rickresource.com has this to say (in addition to the photo):

"The Model 2050 "El Dorado" Bass. Gold keys, bridge, nameplate and hardware are assembled on a particularly stylish double bound Maple body. Pearloid fret dots are inlaid onto a genuine Rosewood fingerboard, bound on both sides for effortless playing action. Supplied with round wound strings, the bass's bridge saddle assemblies have exceedingly long throw capability to accommodate virtually any type string. Two very special pickups work into a two volume, two tone control circuit with mini-toggle pickup selector."

Sounds like a winner to me! Think you'd see them around more...

Does a "very special pickup" have one coil or two? :D

DCR - now that you say that, it might have been a Laredo. I'll have to see if I can contact the guy (I only have the band myspace site) and get more info. I remember it looked like the pic I posted....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It probably was an El Dorado, Tom. You posted the cover of the 200 series catalog, & the El Dorado was a 200-series bass (all the instruments in that series have the same basic look). I'd just never heard of one. Hey, it's cool the things a guy can learn around here! :thu:

RBG--that 5-string Rick is SO SWEET...

Jackpine...you lucky dog!

Archived