Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Basses? (different way to play?)

Feel_Grooves1

Do you play acoustic basses differently? I mean are there styles that you can learn that are just for acoustic? If there are can someone please help me out or send a link or something? Thanks

P.S. I've had a Martin Alternitive X for like a year now but i just thought about different styles. any help will be appreciated thanks

Feel the Vibration of the bass

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Feel_Grooves1:

Do you play acoustic basses differently?

Well, yes and no.

For starters, the acoustic bass is a pretty quiet instrument, really. So, when playing with others, you usually need some sort of amplification to reinforce the sound. And once you are using an amp, you can play it pretty much like any other sort of bass. All the nuances you can get out of an electric are there, and then some. :)

Mind you, it usually takes a bit more finger strength to play acoustic and really bring out the best in it. I often find that it's also best to strengthen the sound by double stopping or playing octaves against an open string (ie to play a bass E, I usually play the open E string and fret the A string at the 7th fret).

I also use a pick to get a stronger attack, but as I said, if you're using an amp, that's not as important.

Originally posted by Feel_Grooves1:

I've had a Martin Alternitive X for like a year

No offense, but that is one ugly beast! Of course I bet it plays a ton better than my Dean Playmate EAB.

I tend to dig in a bit more when playing fingerstyle on the acoustic bass guitar. Sometimes I also use a felt pick , which brings out a different sound than a regular pick. Not so much raw attack, somewhere between fingerstyle and pickstyle.

If I am playing an abg amplified, I am doing everything in my power to keep it from feeding back. Open strings (especially the A) have a tendency to "take off".

The notes I do play have a tendency to feed back as well which makes controlling the length of notes a big issue.

If I am playing without amplification, I will probably play very hard with a pick in an attempt to be heard.

These effects on my technique is why I usually only play the thing on the couch in my living room.

Archived