Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: CompactFlash to SmartMedia adapter?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

I have a Digitech BNX3 which I mostly like (use it for church). It has an 8-track looper built-in, which would be useful IF I could find the storage media. It has 32Mb of memory onboard, which isn't much. It accepts up to 128Mb SmartMedia cards as additional storage.

Therein lies the issue. SmartMedia cards are near extinction. I've tried unsuccessfully to order a stupid card from two sources...both canceled the order after a couple weeks saying the card was no longer available.

I know that there is a XD to SmartMedia adapter that has been proven to work with the BNX3. You slide it into the SmartMedia slot, then slide an XD memory card into the adapter. However, these memory cards have fallen out of favor as well.

So, what I really need for a reasonable long-term solution is a CompactFlash to SmartMedia adapter. CompactFlash seems to be the card type with market staying power for whatever reason.

I've searched for this adapter unsuccessfully. Does anyone know where I might find a CompactFlash to SmartMedia adapter? It needs to slide into a SmartMedia slot and allow me to insert a CompactFlash card into the adapter. (I've found the opposite config, but that doesn't do me any good.)

Btw, Digitech's response on this issue is quite irritating: "Buy the GNX4...it has both guitar and bass features, and uses up to 2Gb CompactFlash cards". Thanks guys...that really helps all the current BNX3 owners... :mad:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks JC, but actually it's not...USB wouldn't work. It would have to be the type that plugs right into the SmartMedia slot and lets me plug a CompactFlash card into the adapter (preferably a one piece gizmo, but a cable connecting two halves would work also). The BNX3 has to *think* it's seeing a SmartMedia card.

Look at the adapter on the bottom of this page:

http://www.card-media.co.uk/xD+Picture+Card+Adapters.htm

This plugs into a SmartMedia slot, and let's you plug an XD card into the adapter. I need the exact same type of gizmo EXCEPT I need it to let me plug a CompactFlash card into the adapter rather than an XD card. I can't believe this doesn't seem to exist...I must just be missing it somewhere (thus my OT post :freak: )

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

CompactFlash seems to be the card type with market staying power for whatever reason.

Evidently because my wife purchased a boat load for her digital camera. :o:D

Sorry, Dave, haven't heard of such a beast. As always it is the consumer that gets screwed whenever the IT industry decides to "let the market decide" which proprietary format should become a standard.

It doesn't seem to me that there are any technical reasons why the type of adapter you need couldn't exist. As Jeremy points out, there are a plethora of memory card readers for computers that handle all sorts of formats. Maybe one of the true techies here knows the low down?

If that's the case, you may be able to fabricate your own adapter if you can't find one. You just need the specs. Knowledge is power.

Ah...Thanks Jason, last time I looked there weren't any 128Mb cards under $70 (which is ridiculous, given that they are fragile and have a somewhat limited life...).

Eric...that might be a really good idea...I *might* be able to just put one together eh?

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

This makes no sense, so I think I can solve your issue.

Your unit takes up to 128mb Smart Media cards.

You want to use a 128mb Compact Flash card.

So you want an adapter to go from Smart Media male to Compact Flash female.

This would makes sense if your unit could take higher capacity cards and you did not want to invest in a large capacity card that you would not be able to use with other devices, but it cannot use larger than 128mb. What newer device would you ever use a 128mb Compact Flash card with? Definitely not a newer camera or a recording device.

You will notice it is sometimes hard to find 128mb Compact Flash cards anymore since they are obsolete, since you can purchase 4gb 150x Compact Flash cards for about $75 with a lifetime warranty from a reputable company (search Ritek RiData 4gb 150x on google to see what I am talking about).

Adapter for Compact Flash female to Secure Digital Male run about $50. If you were going to find an equivalent, which I do not think exists, you would probably spend as much. Since this media will probably never be used again not due to its form factor but instead its capacity, just buy the Smart Media card for the slot as intended. Without doing any research, SHENTECH (good reseller rating) has a Kingston 128mb Smart Media card for $33.

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

If that's the case, you may be able to fabricate your own adapter if you can't find one. You just need the specs. Knowledge is power.

For Compact Flash cards, I do not think it is that simple. Compact Flash cards have an onboard IDE controller, which is why they are used in devices that need high throughput on devices that need to save processor power because there is almost zero processor drain (good digital cameras and good portable sound recorders use Compact Flash over Secure Digital for this reason, but they are also noted to be physically tough, surviving laudry cycles are noted).

Ah...thanks for the thoughts (particularly the technical diff on the CompactFlash cards...I had no idea they have an onboard IDE controller) and the potential supplier, Getz. Actually, you're right...there's only one other device I have now that uses SmartMedia, and I can't ever see having any other device that uses those cards. So, the best choice probably is to just cough up the ridiculous dough for the obselete memory card with it's miniscule capacity. :evil:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived