Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Favourite Strap?

h364

Hi guys, as you might already know this christmas i've magically found the cash for a bass i've always wanted, yes my MIM Fender Jazz, i went with chrome red in the end.

But anyway, i wanted to really lush it out, so i thought maybe a really nice strap, im really liking the Get'm Get'm furry straps, maybe the pink? Is there any other furry strap brands out there? Im either going to go for a really bright, cheery strap that stands out, or a really comfy strap that feels like the bass is weightless.

I like the Deluxe tooled leather 'surf' strap from Fender, but it seems so impossible to get over here!

Also, i was thinking of strap locks, im not so sure of the drill ones, more of the external ones you just click over the strap button, any good? Or get my friend down the music store to put some in before my parents collect nearer christmas.

And any thoughts on the stock strings that come on a fender Mim jazz? I recently re-strung my first bass, which is a squire p-bass special. i got rotosound pink's, in a heavier gauge which i truely adore. The stock fenders come with 45,100 and my new favourite guage is 45-105,

I was thinking maybe the DR strings, the ones coated in colours, matching red strings and a fluffy pink strap would look totally awesome!

Cheers,

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My next strap will be the Moody Leather strap:

Moody Leather website.

I have a 30 year old leather strap, 4" wide, that holds my bass with stability. It is getting a bit crusty on the edge where my neck sweats during outdoor gigs.

I tried these $150 straps at the Arlington Guitar Show, and met the naked gal posing for the pic. I must say that the strap holds very well, and the suede background controls neck dive.

The thing is pure luxury, 3 laminations of the finest leather.

In my experience, the wider and more stable the strap, the longer you can play a gig. I won't use anything other than a very wide strap.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I've always liked Levy's straps designs. I have a "purple lightning" one, I think it's called, for my guitar that has a transparent purple burst finish. Looks great together. It's been hard though to try and find a strap to match my basses.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Don't know about the furry straps, not my bag, but I recently bought one of the Levy leather straps. It's three inches wide and has tooled leather on the front and suede on the back. It's pretty comfy with my Yamaha and Jazz 5's and costs $40.

I presume Fender uses their own strings on their basses but don't know which ones they are. The MIM's seem to come with the light blue wrapped ends.

I like the DR Black Beauty's for your red bass, they'd look killer.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Favorite strap? A gownless evening strap.

Back OT: I wish I could find another of my favorites. It's a plain, cotton strap at the right length. Even though I'm not too huge, and I don't wear my bass extremely low, I always have to max out the straps, some I've even had to customize by removing the buckle and sewing it at it's max length.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I have a black leather strap that leaves a skid mark on white shirts. Can't wear it to formal gigs. Either don't buy one of those, or don't play formal gigs.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

For the past several months, I've been using a NeoStrap that I purchased from Sadowsky Guitars. It's well padded and comfortable. Most importantly, it doesn't grab. I prefer Dunlop Straploks: either the dual design or the traditional. On my Fenders, I continue to use the factory-installed Schaller strap buttons with the matching Schaller locking collars. I don't like the Schaller system as much because I have to modify my strap (i.e. enlarge the holes) in order to install the Schaller locking collars.

I recently got a Planet Waves shoulder pad to better disperse the weight of my basses when they're strapped on. I use it with the usual 1 3/4 inch wide nylon straps. Now my basses feel nearly as light as my 1990 Ibanez RG560 electric guitar when strapped on. A real bonus for me, as my basses are set relatively high.

I use Dunlop straploks for all of my basses. I do have a set of the plastic lok straps Dunlop makes for my seven string guitar (Ibanez RG7321... great match with my 5 string Yamaha. :) ). These can be used with any standard strap button. They are fairly durable, unless you're the extremely abusive type. Beats using tape, and it's good for vintage (or other precious) instruments that must stay up to spec.

Here\'s what one of the plastic locks look like when it\'s used.

If you have the money get the Moody strap! I couldn't afford one but, bought a Franklin 3" leather w/brushed leather. It's soft, distibutes weight well, and is very comfortable for half the price...unless your going to be sporting a real heavy bass for many hours (MM or Ric/4+ hrs).

I've used the old fashoined Dunlop straplocks for decades they've never failed...BUT, you better make sure they are tight on your strap during "break-in", or you are going to be in for a big surprise when your guitar smashes into the floor. Just check the nut on the strap end before each gig for a few months, and don't leave the washer out to make room! I had to compress the washer with "vice-grips" to get the nut started...again don't leave the washer off/out. Again the Dunlop's have never failed...love'em. The Moody strap would be on my Xmas list if I was playing a heavier bass but, I'd still LOVE to have one!

Oh yeah...strings, I like DR's (any) above all. For flatwounds...GHS Precisions. Strings are too personal!

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Wide, black, leather, rough back.

I have Schaller strap locks on my Warwick but I think you'd be just as well served by a thick strap that you never remove so the holes in the leather stay tight, or by replacing the strap buttons with wood screws and large washers - good enough for Stanley Clarke!

Alex

Originally posted by NUTT:

Hey Donut, is that thing a slick strap or does it give you some "grab" like a suede backed strap does?

I like the strap to hold my bass still a bit. I don't like the nylon or slick leather straps that let the bass slide all over the place.

You can get them either way. Mine are smooth.

i have a nice, wide black leather strap with a white lightning bolt on it. it's like the one rivers cuomo is wearing on the cover of the green album, but i bought mine before that record came out. it was just hanging at a local shop. why not see what's available near your home and go from there?

i also have a strap sample of a design one of my ID friends did at peavey. it's a really cool 70s van theme in blue. it's nylon, so it's not as secure as the leather one, but it works and has sentimental attachment.

robb.

I like using straplocks and keeping the same strap and switching basses. I dont like the plastic tip straps that lock on the original strap buttons. I ahve a stephi 3 inch wide black strap with slick top and soft rought suede bottom and it is great.

Jonathan

I looked at their site a bit more and it seems that they have changed alot. I bought mine around 4 years ago, and I think they were direct only. I'd give them a call or email to see if they still have the "rough or smooth" option.

I like mine slidey. But I think I am the exception, so if they decided to go with only one option I would imagine that its grippy.

Levy's

I have them in different colors to match the bass (except I use black with my Jazz, it is a nice contrast witht the vintage white :D )

I also have a Comfort Strap that was given to me by our fellow Lowdowner Adrian Garcia. It is the most comfortable strap I've ever used. Try one you'll like it!

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Back in the 60's, a girlfriend embroidered some stars onto a pair of jeans that I wore all the time.

Eventually the jeans wore out.

By then I had a new girlfriend who is now my wife.

She cut up the jeans and made a guitar strap for me.

That is why my faded blue denim strap with the embroidered stars on it is my favorite strap (even though I haven't used it in many years).

I still use the same two straps I have been using for years.

One is a grimy black leather one. I'm not sure what company made it, but my bass doesn't move around when it's strapped on. That strap has to be wiped down from time to time, because sweat tends to make white "salt lick" marks on it.

The other is a black Planet Waves strap... it's made of slippery nylon and has a cushy pad on it. Of course, me being the dumbass I am, I don't every put the strap part on my shoulder--the pad ends up down near the rear strap lock, and I never remember to just take the pad off.

I also have another black leather strap with white chevrons on it, but I don't use it often--it's not as comfy for some reason.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Back in the 60's, a girlfriend embroidered some stars onto a pair of jeans that I wore all the time.

Eventually the jeans wore out.

By then I had a new girlfriend who is now my wife.

She cut up the jeans and made a guitar strap for me.

That is why my faded blue denim strap with the embroidered stars on it is my favorite strap (even though I haven't used it in many years).

So hang on a minute... Your wife made a guitar strap out of some embroidery an ex-girlfriend did for you?

Wierd... :)

Well, isee everybody is talkin about comfy and flashy straps. I agree with the confyness part, the flashiness....uh..not considered important.

If i were to buy a strap i wold buy a neoprene one, it makes the guitar or bass feel way lighter and its really confortable. However: i would prefer to buy my own neoprene and build my own strap and make it really wide and just how i want.

Nadu, the intergalactic

funk-grand-master

Archived