Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ladies & Gentlemen, I have a new addition!

TShakazBlackRoots

Blessings brothers and sisters.

It's finally here. Just picked it from the Fed Ex/customs store at the airport, all sparkling in it's original case. :eek: It's sitting there with a Tascam BT-1 MKII Bass trainer plus an AKG Wireless system. I mean this beauty right here below:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-TRB1005-5String-Electric-Bass?sku=519175

It's Transluscent Red. For the last three weeks, I have been learning the 5 using my mates old 5 string Hohner BV II headless. I must say, a 5 string bass is pretty lovely to play. :cry: .

People wanna buy it from me but oh no, I love it! :love:

I'm rushing home to unwrap the new addition!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice bass. Yamaha doesn't get enough credit. They know how to make stuff.

Here's another new edition.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiRg91lFKZgAfBqjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12fguqfo3/EXP=1163610336/**http%3A//www.neweditionfanclub.com/images/bio/new_edition.jpg

Congrats TShaka,

I played one of those about a month ago and fell in love. And just two days ago I bought a TRB 5 string about ten years old. Mines transluscent blue and sounds fabulous.

Enjoy! I know you will.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Thanx all.

Basshappi, yap, we all fine. :)

I took the TRB1005 for a test all night. I must say that it's powerful, yes, BUT, it's too bright for my liking (so far). ;) It definately would do wonders for Bass soloists, for Funk + R&B but for Reggae in which I major, the tone is not robust enough like say my 4 string Yamaha BB604.

I tried playing around with the EQ, not much joy either. Anyhow, I'm gonna keep trying to work out how to get the best tone from it. :)

The bass I'd really love is the Yamaha TRB5PII Bubinga Bass! :thu: Now that one should be robust and 'tonally' deep and round for Reggae. :cool:

That'd be a great idea boss. I need to get my hands on either flats or half round half-flat strings. :mad: Problem is I got to order AGAIN, and I ain't near anywhere where I can get them quick.

However, it's possible that the strings will 'lose' the brightness after I play them alot more. It could be coz they're brand new. :confused:

TShakaz,

Congrats on the new bass. Yamaha makes them well.

You're right about the strings, they'll grow less bright over time. Eventually they may get downwright thuddy. Meanwhile, try adjusting EQ to remove some highs and mids if necessary. Some folks have even been known to disconnect the tweeter within their cabinets.

- Matt W.

Thanx again guys :thu:

I practice on a Peavey Micro bass combo :o which really and truly struggles to contain this monster. So I plugged my headphones into my Tascam Bass Trainer and played along. The tone was quite good :thu: I believe on bigger set up, I'll get to appreciate this TRB more.

I also adjusted the strings coz I want them tight and not too close on the fret board...IS this a good or bad thing, as in, will it damage the bass? :confused:

Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

Thanx again guys :thu:

I practice on a Peavey Micro bass combo :o which really and truly struggles to contain this monster. So I plugged my headphones into my Tascam Bass Trainer and played along. The tone was quite good :thu: I believe on bigger set up, I'll get to appreciate this TRB more.

I also adjusted the strings coz I want them tight and not too close on the fret board...IS this a good or bad thing, as in, will it damage the bass? :confused:

I also practice my 5 through a MicroBass sometimes.

Raising the strings for higher action won't hurt that bass. It's got dual truss rods in the neck, and a beefy bridge, so it's no problem. I also like mine somewhat high, but not so much that I can't do some hammer-ons with the fretting hand, and even some melodic two-handed tapping. The extra gap certainly helps in slapping some lines. :)

I've also noticed that my active Jazz V is extremely bright sounding through my Peavey Microbass, but when played through my main rig it is not near as bright.

The Microbass also struggles considerably to reproduce my Jazzes B string without distorting. It's not a bad sounding little amp but it doesn't seem to be made for active five strings. I do believe that you will appreciate your new Yamaha through a proper bass rig.

Enjoy!

Many thanx Dr Taz and Groover :thu:

I'm also gonna get another set of headphones that can handle the bass frequencies better. My little Peavey Microbass works wonders rehearsing in one's home but there are times you wanna practice or hear these monsters via a proper rig! ;)

I'm enjoying the string action though but one day I wanna try flats. :cool:

Archived