Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What to use?

EZ

I have been playing at small clubs using my 2-10 cabinet, but tonight I have to play at a large gym. My question is "Will the 10s be good or should I use my 18 with it? I am open to all suggestions
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are not getting any FOH support I would take the 18. If you are worried about hearing yourself 'on stage' Just raise up the 2X10's so your ears will hear them better than your kneecaps! oh, and bring the rock!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I know the gig is over now, but if I have to play in a gym I would bring less equipment, not more.

Last time I played in a gym I brought my Roland Bass Cube (60 watts). The bass (and the whole band) was still too loud.

I begged and pleaded with the guitarist....I kept asking him, "can you hear the singers? Do you think anyone can? Do you think they can hear themselves?"

He had a 30 watt guitar amp and was so loud that most of the audience (who were mostly teenagers) had their hands over their ears.

Gyms are for basketball. I like basketball.

I like music too, but not in gyms.

EZ-

Less is more is great advice for most PA's.

There's no way most bands can fill a gym or a large hall without a lot of prep and sound checks. My rule of thumb is that you really only have to cover about 20 feet in front of the stage or the area where people are dancing. The folks in the back are there for a reason; let them talk and when they're ready (or interested) they'll come up front.

Jimmie ThunderLizard

Well I never made it to the gig, the belts on my car started to fray, I was on my way to the gig when it happen. I got lucky i was not too far out so I made it home. The normal bassist for the band did the gig, I was doing it because he had been in a accident and was a little out of it, he was going to play keyboards, and I was at his house helping him to load up when it happen. I had all my gear in my car and was worried that I was not going to make it home. I did have the 18 just in case I needed it, I fig, better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thanx for all ya'll help tho, if i find myself doing another gig in a gym I'll know better because of all of ya'll help.
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

Archived