Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for head with eden 410 XLT

Bass Guitar Jakal

Hey guys'

dont know if you remember me but I came here a couple months ago asking about cabs ans stuff.

Well I bought a used Eden 410 XLT Wich is great.

But I am using it as an extention to a crappy ashdown eclectric blue 180 combo.

Well now im looking for a head for it.

I m looking at

http://www.music123.com/Ampeg-B2RE-Bass-Head-i151234.music

and this:

http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-MAG-600R-Bass-Head-i160528.music

I havent found any reviews on the 600.

I want ReallyLOUD. I know this eden can get loud. So Im leaming towards the 600, it sounds pretty sweet. The b2 just dosent seem to cut through the mix, I played one before. My band plays PRIMUS type stuff so, I need to be loud.

What do you think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sound differance between 450 watts and 575 watts is not a whole lot IMO. Its not even enough to make 2 Decabells of differance. If you want loud, maybe go the route many on this forum ahve gone and get a PA amp and use a preap of some sorts.

Between the 2 the ashdown is lighter but I ahve never played it. The ampeg seems to have more eq controls, and if you eq it right it should cut through. I like the B2R but didnt want to be stuck with a 4 ohm min. Your cab is 4 ohm right? if it is you wont be able to add another cab if you ever wanted to, its not as though you would need to but....

If you want loud, save an extra $300 and get a louder amp. I think the rule some people ahve said around here is... add together all the wattages of the guitars and vocals and keys etc. and then add 100 to that and thats how many watts you need.

So 2 X 120 watt guitar amps and 200 watts of vocals is 440 watts and then you would need about 540 watts. I think you would need more but I like being loud.

If you like the low freq. bumped on your amp then you will need even more power to keep up with them.

I hope my late night jabber helped.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Bass Guitar Jakal:

My band plays PRIMUS type stuff so, I need to be loud.

http://www.hearnet.com/features/artist/9605_primus.shtml

I hope you wear earplugs like Les!

As long as you don't EQ in loads of bottom (which you shouldn't if you're going for a Primusey sound) then almost any head will drive that Eden to deafening volumes. The MAG 600 is a lot of bang for the buck.

If you scour eBay you may be able to get a pre/power rig for ~$500 which will be even louder.

Alex

You want LOUD? My rig can get really LOUD.

I own a David Eden 410XST (1000WRMS) and power it with a bridged Mackie M1400I Power amplifier (1400 watts @ 4 ohms bridged - 1000 watts @ 8 ohms bridged).

Have a DBX 160A limiter/compressor between my SWR Grand Prix pre-amp and the Mackie (effects loop).

I really dig my rig.

http://home.comcast.net/~steforce/M%20studio%201.jpg

(somewhat dated photo--have downsized the rack a bit., and that was my old 410XLT cab.)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

well no way i can afford that. Like I said I got 500 bucks. Which one?

B2re or

Mag 600

Or any other amps. that are in wattage price range.

FYI: You can pickup a SWR Grand Prix on eBay for around $200, and a Mackie for around $250.

So where is the discrepancy?

(Why do I even bother?)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

OOOHH,

I really like the 1900 watt carvin head.

Anyone know much about these?

Or, you could listen to the multiple suggestions and try out a preamp/poweramp setup.

SansAmp RBI or BBE BMax for under $200, just check talkbass.com. Then get a poweramp, Mackie 1400i or Carvin DCM 1500 for less than $300 used will get you there.

Originally posted by NUTT:

Or, you could listen to the multiple suggestions and try out a preamp/poweramp setup.

SansAmp RBI or BBE BMax for under $200, just check talkbass.com. Then get a poweramp, Mackie 1400i or Carvin DCM 1500 for less than $300 used will get you there.

Excellent suggestion.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Archived