Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am in need of an experts opinion

Arbon

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now. There are many experts over here that help each other out, wich is cool. But this time I'm the one who's having a problem. Hope you guys can help.

I'm the bassplayer of a band wich is starting to play more gigs now. (up to one gig a month at this moment.) But I have experienced some problems with my amp at gigs.

I have an Carlsbro baseline 300 wich is O.K. for me. But at crucial moments (at a gig, after a few songs) it shuts down, and stops producing sound. Before it shuts down the LED's are all flickering. So my gues is that the heatprotection (or something like that) kicks in. Preventing the amp from getting to hot. That's probably a good thing, because I don't want to burn my amp down.(the amp doesn't contain an internal cooling fan) So I think my question is this: how can I outrun this safety protection? (if that's the problem) And how can I make this protection less sensitive, so I can play a hole gig without being afraid of my amp shutting down.

Since I am a student buying a new one simply is not an option right now. I hope you guys can help me.

Greetings,

Arbon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm no expert, but if it were me the first thing I would do is get my amp to a reliable repairman and have him check it out.

Thermal shutdown seems like the most likely cause, but even that can be the result of a variety problems.

Get it checked out by someone who knows what he's doing.

BTW, my family is originally from Holland, incidentally -- we came over to the Americas in the 1650s.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Arbon-

I had a similar problem with a Peavey Combo amp that I had. I replaced the 4 ohm Peavey speaker with a Carvin 8 ohm speaker, and it started shutting down during gigs and rehearsal. You might want to make sure the amp and the speaker match. Good Luck!

BTW, my family was run out of Holland, England, France, Italy.....

Jimmie ThunderLizard

Jimmie ThunderLizard

The thermal cut out is there to stop the blue smoke from being released. It is not a good idea to try to override it.

The amp will be overheating for a variety of reasons. I am not familiar with the amp you have but check the following if you can.

Is the amp distorting. This will be caused by clipping and because you have something turned up too much.

If you have separate gain and volume you need to turn up the gain as far as it will go before distortion, and then turn the volume up as far as it will go without distorting.

If it is distorting at low volumes, you need to check that you don't have the EQ too bass heavy. Boosting the lower frequencies will rob the power from your amp and may not make it any louder.

If it is still distorting check you don't have any blown speaker cones. (is it 1x15 or 4x10? again I don't know the model.)

If it is not distorting and still cutting out there may be a problem where the amplifier is getting hot and a bad solder joint is causing the amp to cut out. You will need a tech to look at it and fix it.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Originally posted by jeremy c:

You could try setting up a fan to blow air through the amp. That would keep it cooler....until you solve the real problem.

We have enough problems trying to get our fans to dance, let alone blow on our amps... ;)

Oh and sorry Arbon, Welcome to the Forum!

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

In my best "Car Talk" Boston accent:

Blinking/flickering lights don't make me think of overheating. Heat may be part of the issue, but I'm thinking short instead. Before you take it in to a repair man to spend money that you don't have, I recommend taking the beast apart. Quite often the offending part is obvious. My Peavey Hernia 300 had a broken fuse holder; $1.59 part at Radio Shack put me back in action. (Mind you the amp shop "couldn't find the problem 'cause they couldn't make the amp malfunction in the shop".) Just unplug it first, eh?

Meantime? borrow a mate's amp for a backup and/or be ready to be able to plug directly into the P.A. system.

Rock On!

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Thank you for the quick reply, and the good sugestions to solve the problem. I am already feeling very welcome at the forum ;)

I hope the solving of the problem is in replacing one little fuse. We'll see!

Thanks again, and lett me know if you come up with new ideas!

Arbon

Originally posted by Arbon:

I have an Carlsbro baseline 300 wich is O.K. for me. But at crucial moments (at a gig, after a few songs) it shuts down, and stops producing sound. Before it shuts down the LED's are all flickering. So my gues is that the heatprotection (or something like that) kicks in. Preventing the amp from getting to hot.

It appears Carlsbro equipment is prone to overheating if the "bias preset pot" is not set correctly (from their forum at http://www.carlsbro.com/ ).

Also, it appears that their equipment is designed to be convection cooled, i.e. does not have internal cooling fans. It is very important for these kinds of systems that:

(1) they are used in a cool room (air-conditioned to about 20C should be good)

(2) nothing is within at least 20cm of the unit, especially nothing on top or blocking the vents!

(3) sources of heat, such as stage lights, sunlight, heater vents, etc. are kept away from the unit

In general, it's not a good thing to constantly trip the thermal shutdown circuitry. You should have the amp repaired by a tech as soon as possible.

Jeremy's idea of using an external fan to cool the unit seems like a reasonable stop-gap measure, but it may only delay the overheating, not prevent it entirely.

The cooling fan is a good temporary solution indeed. But I need to get to the core if this.

A variable preset pot sounds like it's easy to fix.(by an technician ;) )

Seems I chose just the wrong amp brand for stage performances! 20c ??!!

Welcome and good luck getting this resolved.

Often our playing situation changes, and it's expensive to change our equipment to keep up. I can't say that your amp is wrong for stage performances, but you can look at how loud you are playing, how old it is, etc.

My band used to play so infrequently that I borrowed equipment. When we started getting (slightly) more serious, I spent the money and slowly built a larger rig.

And don't look at the fan as only a temporary solution. You may want to install a fan permanently (in the amp case, or somehow connected to the amp) to improve performance.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Problem solved!!! Seems there was a fan inside my amp after all. The fan was already broken since I bought my amp. (2nd hand) That's wy I thougt there was no fan at all. Yesterday I brought it away for repair.

Very soon I wil be grooving again, in a very cool way. ;)

Glad it worked out so well - it's easier to fix a broken component than a broken design. My son builds wacky computers and loves the design-fabrication thing, but most of us need gear that just works.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived