Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Your Favorite Movie Soundtracks

wade_g

A buddy of mine asked me about songs for his ipod while working out, and I mentioned how much the Rocky theme pumped me up. Then I wondered what other movies had songs that would be good for motivation.

So I ask you, what soundtracks do you find inspiration from?

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find I turn to these regularly in times of need.

"The Hot Spot" Miles Davis, Taj Mahal, John Lee Hooker. Performances all mailed in, but still where else will you find these guys together.

"Albino Allegator" Michael Brook brooding guitar and deep bass

"Twin Peaks" because there's not enough self-conscious schmaltz in the world

"Paris Texas" Ry Cooder classic and about as much sultry back-country pickin as I can stand at one time.

My son is always humming the themes from "Last of The Mohicans" and telling me how much he wants to find a tab of it so he can try to play it. I'm glad he's concentrating on something other than the violence!

Maybe not inspirational for workouts, but there's just something about the songs from "A Mighty Wind".

And you can't go wrong with the Star Wars or Indiana Jones soundtracks, either.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Better Off Dead, don't ask why because I don't know.

What? No South Park Movie mention yet. That's one of very few musicals that doesn't cause violent intestinal discomfort for me.

I can't even think of

the people a few years back going to the theater to sing along with the bouncing ball to "The Sound of Mucus". That would be my personal hell. (sorry for the OT)

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I can't believe I forgot about the Last of the Mohicans. That's one of my favorites.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

are we talking music from the film or the actual soundtrack album? there is a considerable difference. think how much better the empire records soundtrack would be if it had "little bastard" by the ass ponys on it. the song is prominently featured in the movie. and somehow "where is my mind?" by the pixies is not on the fight club soundtrack.

as far as using music in films, quentin tarantino and wes anderson use music very well. the music in nacho libre is extremely good, too. i liked the music in the graduate and in the blues brothers, too. in fact, all of my favorite films use music prominently and well.

robb.

I have only two soundtrack albums in my life.

One was the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou? It's old-timey music and it's great.

The other was for an obscure Hungarian film called: A Long Weekend in Pest and Buda and the name of the soundtrack cd is Segments by Laszlo Des.

Des plays sax and his group also appears in the flim. I searched very hard to find this cd and I like it very much. It sounds like a little like late '60s Miles Davis.

Speaking of Miles Davis, how could we have this discussion and not mention A Tribute to Jack Johnson? Great soundtrack!

There is an old movie from the early 60's called "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"(I think with William Holden) that had the most outrageous, bombastic orchestral theme song I ever heard. I still have an old vinyl LP of it that I drag out from time to time. It's just an amazing piece of music.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Better Off Dead, don't ask why because I don't know.

)

That is a good soundtrack so is the one from "Real Genius"

I have many movie and TV show sound tracks in my CD collection. Some of my favs are:

Ghost in the Shell - The opening Theme song is one of the most haunting pieces of music I have ever heard.

Lord of the Rings

Conan the Barbarian

Cowboy Bebop

Kingdom of Heaven

Star Trek-The Wrath of Kahn

Star Wars

Flash

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Sean Connery era James Bond

Indiana Jones

The theme song from just about any John Carpenter movie (The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China are particular favs)

Little Shop of Horrors

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I don't know if it's my absolute favorite but the only one that comes to mind right now is Pulp Fiction which had a good soundtrack IMO. OF course it's one of my very favorite movies too. I've probably watched it over a hundred times by now. :freak:

Cheers

Newf

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly has always been a favorite of mine.

But my all time favorite is the soundtrack for a movie called Ravenous. I love the movie, and the soundtrack fits it perfectly. The directors employed people who live in the Appalachian Mountains to do the soundtrack. The music is very creepy and ominous, and uses a lot of weird drum noises and time signatures. Maybe not bass inspired, but still pretty dang cool.

Another vote for Last Of The Mohicans.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Star Wars

Jaws

Oh hell, anything by John Williams.

The Breakfast Club

The Omen (the original)

The Lion King

Does The Wall count?

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

My absolute favourite has to be the soundtrack from Once Upon a Time In The West.

I like Hair a lot and Cavatina from The Deer Hunter (which i think is the most beautiful piece written for guitar ever).

Also worth mentioning: the theme song from Platoon.

On another note: the soundtrack from the movie Clerks is well put together and so is Pulp Fiction.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

Originally posted by Bottomgottem:

The Omen

Mmm... "Tubular Bells". :thu: (Oh wait, that was The Exorcist!)

I've heard the Erich Wolfgang Korngold score to The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) is supposed to be the bees knees. I doubt it is in the same league as "Eye of the Tiger", though. ;)

I've always liked Tommy.

But what is going through my head right now is "My Fair Lady," mainly 'cause I'm playing a 2 week run of that show.

Wearing blisters on my fingers holding the bow while pizzicato'ing. Damn them! Let me set the bow down and use my real pizz pads.

Still, anybody realize how great that score is?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

I've always liked Tommy.

Me too.

In the case of Tommy and The Wall, do the albums stand as movie soundtracks or do the movies stand as album videotracks? In both cases, the music came first.

Or am I thinking too much? :freak:

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Archived