Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ok so I made my first setup this weekend.

DavidMPires

Ok so I made my first setup this weekend.

Let's start

I went home grabed the bass Ibanez Soundgear 1005 96' model, problems were: high strings, loosely truss rod, and lack of output, comparing with my Spector.

So I started by adjusting the neck, didn't went bad, feels better and even u can notice just by looking at that. I tighten up on Friday night and bit more on Saturday. Seems ok to me.

Next step. High strings, started to lower it, seemed ok,, but Saturday buzz started on the A and E string, put them a little higher, but yesterday again a bit buzz, again went up,

I don't have a clue about Radius Gauge I just adjust them by feel. And eyeball.

Let's see if it is ok today.

Next step intonation: Cool in all strings just the bloody B string doesn't seem to want to be in tune, is not like half set but is something, it's like mission impossible. Some help here will be appreciated.

Next step and one of the more important since I wanted more output. Pickups: Neck pickup was like 3mm lower than the bridge one, I have raised it and had to put a bit of cardboard below to have that at the desired height, initially was too high and strings were hitting the pickups so I have lowered it a little bit.

Well but my problem is not solved. (I will go back to this below)

Overall I am really happy with myself, usually I always f@cked up everything and manage to damage always something, this time don't.

My setup is not perfect but still feels better than the last one done by a guy on a music shop near me. and I save the $$$. Although I wouldn't do it on my spector just yet.

So now I need some advice: What should I do to get more output from my bass, new pickups? Maybe EMG like the ones used on my spector?

Different preamp?

Any ideas?

Another question if I change from 0.40 to 0.45 will this make difference on the output? This may sound dumb but hey....

I am thinking to change the strings on the next month or so. I haven't change them this time,

And they are not so dead, they only have like two months.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi josh. it is indeed active,

I already did, Check Ibanez Soundergear tread.

Cheers

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Nop that won't do.

Needs to be a bigger issue to make such difference

Please if you could help me with more information about this setup thing, would be great. Alexander, Phil, Jeremy, Davo.

My Ibanez has a fairly low output as well. I think just because it is active it doesn't mean you will get a higher output from it. It just means that the tone controls can boost treble, mid and bass, as opposed to a normal passive bass where you would just normally get the option to cut tone.

Can you measure the height of the string (in mm). Measure between the bottom of the string and the fretboard at the 12th fret. Also can you measure the height above the pickups. I'll check it against mine. Do you have the Bartiloni Pickups or the DXJ and DXP's.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Cheers for that Tim

I think they are those last one, as I can't find anything that says it.

And I know that bartolini has a bigger output.

I'll check the measures at home and will let you know tomorrow.

But bear in mind that I have raise the neck one about 2 to 3mm.

This is getting on my nerves co's the difference is huge so if I need to change bass on a gig I have to change the volume alot and that can mess with the overall sound of the band.

I was thinking in a better preamp (probably cheaper option than pickups) that boost the volume.

Are you coming tomorrow for the meet up?

If so we can discuss that there, and davo will be there as well so I think all of you will be able to help me.

Cheers

I'll be there. Why did you raise the neck. That may have something to do with it. Maybe the height above the pickup will have more meaning then. Did you say you now had intonation problems with your low B? or did I read that on another thread?

Preamp?

Sansamp 3 Channel Programmable Bass Driver DI will let you set up both basses the way you want, then just click the footswitch when you change basses.

Musicians Friend, $209 US, comes with directions for 16 options to get ideas from.

Why don't you try 7/64th's" at high end and work to 8/64th's" at low end? Measure at the 12th fret, bottom of string to top of fret. This will keep the action fairly low and allow you to keep the strings on the same radius as the neck.

Good luck.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Tim

I raised the neck pickup to try to have a bit more volume.

Yeah a bit of a problem to intonate the b string but I notice that it's impossible to put them all perfect is a flaw of the strings instruments.

I would only like to know if my bass has a problem before I buy any gear as I usually am happy just with a cable and no switches on the middle.

But I will have a look at that for sure

Oh sorry I misread that, I thought you wrote raised the neck. Makes more sense now.

On my Ibanez SR400 bass the strings are 1/8" 4mm above the fretboard at 12th fret. Coincidently they are the same height above the pickups too.

The owner at Machinehead in Hitchin set it up with me while I was trying it out in the shop before I bought it.

I have set up my other 2 basses myself. If you have the pickups too high the magnetic influence from the pickups will dampen the strings, so that's another thing to watch, but I don't think you have that problem.

Archived