Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good/interesting Steve Harris article.

Tenstrum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right I'm off to get some flatwounds, a 4x12 and this months Bass Player Mag.

Thanks, Excellent.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I read this interview in the latest issue and couldn't believe the inanity of the following question and answer:

Q: Are long, epic tunes harder to pull off live?

A: No. The challenge is just remembering where things come in the song.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Yea, I thought this was a good read too. I normally read the mag front to back, but this time I went straight to Steve's article!

Rowbee: I caught that question too. I was thinking, "I wrote the song, I arranged the song, I rehearsed the song, I recorded the song..." *shrug*

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

I just thought it was lazy journalism and it got the response it deserved. I would've left the question out of the interview personally. At least Bass Player is still tons better than Bass Guitar.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Originally posted by Rowbee:

At least Bass Player is still tons better than Bass Guitar.

Which itself is tons better than Bassist (which featured some of the most appalling journalism ever committed to paper...)

Great transcription this month - "If You Want Me To Stay" being greased up by Rusty Allen.

Alex

Agreed on the transcription, I was extremely pleased with that.

Also agreed on Bassist, which as has been previously mentioned here, never gave a bad gear review. I hate sound elitist but don't get me started with the interviews with brit-poppers.

Lazy journalism, eh? Alright. I thought he might have some insight about pacing, staging, planning, or some other dimension of turning good recored songs into good live performances, but I guess I was wrong. Naturally, I'm glad some of you liked the article!

I was in two minds about that Q&A. It did seem like a simplistic question (like - of course they are more difficult!). But the answer was very down-to-earth, meat-and-potatoes - we all loose our minds for a minute at our jobs or playing bass at some point.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hi Brian, feedback is feedback, good or bad - obviously there was no disrespect intended.

I personally didn't care for the question or the answer, as whatever the intent of the question, I felt it could've been left out of the article because it said nothing. That is why I believed it was lazy, because it felt like it was filling space.

I guess I can't get too down on that question/response. The first thing I thought of were a couple tunes we do that - while they aren't long, epic tunes - are fairly long and have several sections. I would have answered the same way.

I was talking with our keyboard player the other day about the band and some issues. On of the biggest is the lead singer not leading. We all know the tunes and sections, but we're never really sure where the singer is going to go next. While we are good enough to pull it off, I wish we had better cues or roadmaps.

Hell, I get totally lost on short songs. My mind wanders, I go to sleep, forget what song we are playing. Just kidding, I never screw up. No, I take that back. I can't remember my last mistake. Yes I can, it was this post.

:bor::confused::D

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Boys, if you're going to draw a hard line against inane questions and answers you'd better cancel your subcriptions to BP and/or GP right away. The staffs of both these mags do a terrific job, but every once in a while, depending on journalist, interview subject, subject matter and/or types and quantities of drugs ingested, there can be some whoppers. Chuckle, shake your head, and move on to the good stuff.

This Harris guy is 49 and reportedly still rocking his butt off. I'm throwing down the gauntlet to all you boomer geezers! I'm 53; I never wear Dockers; I stay up late sometimes on purpose; I play my stuff loud. I have tattoos, love them, and will get more any time I choose; I don't have any piercings, it doesn't appeal to me, but don't push me because if you do I might get my nipples pierced and post the picture on the Internet. Nobody really wants that.

My point - and I did have one - is, keep rockin'! Bleach your hair if you want to. Don't worry about your kids; Gene Simmons' kids seem pretty normal, and even Ozzy's kids aren't any more screwed up than a lot of others'.

You have to grow older. You don't have to grow up.

Originally posted by Chad:

You have to grow older. You don't have to grow up.

I second that! ...or third it. Whichever's appropriate.

See also: Lemmy's quote below... :thu:

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Originally posted by Chad:

Boys, if you're going to draw a hard line against inane questions and answers you'd better cancel your subcriptions to BP and/or GP right away. The staffs of both these mags do a terrific job, but every once in a while, depending on journalist, interview subject, subject matter and/or types and quantities of drugs ingested, there can be some whoppers. Chuckle, shake your head, and move on to the good stuff.

With respect Chad and perhaps I should've chosen to voice my concerns in the editor's office forum, but as a buyer and reader of BP magazine, I am as entitled as everyone else to make a criticism of any article I feel isn't up to scratch.

I have total respect for Bill Leigh and think he is doing a fantastic job - I would surely expect that he pays attention to feedback both good and bad because he needs to know what will keep his readership as high as possible.

Besides, it has probably all been blown of out of proportion anyway, as I was merely commenting that I thought the question and answer could have been omitted from the interview because they said nothing.

I know that BP will never be the 100% perfect magazine for me or for anyone else as it is here to serve the whole bass playing community. That is why there was a Steve Harris interview in the magazine in the first place - I am not an Iron Maiden fan and never have been, but I read every article because I try to be open minded enough to feel that I could perhaps learn something new.

On your other point, I wholeheartedly agree that age should not necessarily affect your state of mind - stay young in your heart, I fully intend to.

Archived