Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DET 8 NYY 3.

rumpelstiltskin.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I won't be THAT blunt, Robb.

But it is pleasant to see them in again, after these long years.

I just wish I knew the names of the players.

By the way, is Alan Trammell getting ANY credit at all?

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

leyland said, "we just embarrassed alan trammell. let's not do that anymore." he got a lot of credit after he was fired, in the sense that everyone recognized he got a raw deal.

CF curtis granderson

2B placido polanco

C ivan rodriguez

RF magglio ordoñez

LF craig monroe

1B sean casey

SS carlos guillen

DH marcus thames

3B brandon inge

SP kenny rogers, jeremy bonderman, justin verlander, nate robertson

RP joel zumaya, fernando rodney, jamie walker, jason grilli, andrew miller

closer todd jones

now you know some of the names. when did you leave michigan, again? were you gone by 1984? since i was 6 then, this is really the first successful tigers team i've ever known.

robb.

I lived in Michigan from 1955 until 1963, then from 1968 until 1973. I was a fan as a kid; came back in time for the '68 championship (and the '72 playoff run.)

After moving to Texas in '73, I still went to many Tiger games (Ron Leflore era) here at Arlington (home of the Rangers.) Huge fan in '84, I knew the entire team and watched many of the games. '87 was pretty much the same team.

In the '90's I pretty much lost any allegiance to them and followed the Rangers. However, I was at the game last year here in Texas where the Rangers opened up an 11 run lead and the Tigers came back...in one inning.

Now it's good to be a Tiger...especially seeing one of our Ranger heroes (Pudge) win over one of our Ranger goats (A-Rod.)

Congrats to the Tigers...... awesome job..

Next round of the playoffs should be great....

Its going to be a long winter for us Yankee fans...

but the last 10 seasons have been great...

www.danielprine.com

Just watched the highlight reel on MLB.com.

Wow. The players didn't keep their celebration to themselves. They carried the champagne out on the field, spraying and serving the fans, even going up in the stands. Not just the role players; Kenny Rogers and Pudge.

That's one of the classiest things I've ever seen. I remember listening to locker room interviews from winning Tiger locker rooms. This is even better.

On a sadder note: I did a Google maps search on Tiger Stadium and looked at the satellite image. How can they possibly let that field and stadium go like that? Tiger Stadium should be a national landmark.

I drive by Tiger Stadium every day and it is looking pretty rough. :(

Re: Alan Trammell, Kirk Gibson, Lance Parrish (old coaching staff)--I think most people here think they did a fairly good job but Jim Leyland was the man who really helped the team gel (the Tiger president, GM and CEO Dave Dombrowskis getting most of the credit for some savvy trades he has made the past several years.)

In any case, this Tiger team was pure pleasure to watch this year, and we here in Motown are absolutely ecstatic they have advanced.

Go Tigers!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by robb.:

eat it, yankees.

robb.

Way to win gracefully and ingratiate yourself with the NY lowdowners. :D

Seriously, the Yanks stank up the place. With the exception of Jeter going 5-5 in game 1, they really didn't show up. Now there's talk of Joe Torre getting fired. They should just trade A-Rod and get that cancer out of the clubhouse.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Big Daddy from Motown:

You are right about Tiger Stadium Dave.

We needed to put a minor league team in there.

Right on Big Daddy and other MoTown guys! it's a real SHAME! to just ignore the old lady like that, so many great memories and heart breaks there! I hope something can save the old place!

Originally posted by getz76:

Oh yeah, the Yankees were in the playoffs, right?

How about those Mets? :)

Beware of Mr. Met, though...

Let's Go Mets

Hey, I heard Jeter played great today. :thu:

He shot a 74. :D

Push the button Frank.

this is a good wikipedia entry on the future of tiger stadium . i didn' realize it cost detroit $4million every year to keep in a relative state of disrepair. imagine if it were actually kept clean.

there are positives to this scenario, for those less nostalgic. much of corktown, the neighborhood that is home to tiger stadium, has been been undeveloped for decades. it was more profitable to keep lots empty for use as parking instead of developing them into living and retail. corktown is developing and improving again. and it's an historic neighborhood in detroit that precedes the stadium itself.

robb.

Originally posted by Nicklab:

Way to win gracefully and ingratiate yourself with the NY lowdowners. :D

y'all know i love you. it was pretty satisfying, though, after the tv announcer yankees lovefest in games 1 and 2.

besides, as a red wings fan, i could've told the boss that you can't really buy a championship.

robb.

Well, let's not make it that harsh, ZZ.

I am a fan of the football Yankees, the Dallas Cowboys. I'm always confused by the animosity non-fans feel toward the Cowboys and Yankees.

You know, it's quite similar to the animosity those opposed to the current US Foreign policy feel toward the administration.

Weird, ain't it?

The mets will do it. Their offense is phenomenal.

I root for ny in general.

Though more of a met fan than a yankee fan...i always get a warm feeling when the team that best represents the arrogance of ny wins. This became true for me after I spent four years of my life in boston...and experienced the hate of red sox fans toward new yorkers.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

The first Tiger game I went to was Al Kaline day in 1971 when I was eight years old. Can you guess who my all-time favorite baseball player is? :D

I hadn't been to a Tiger game since the mid-nineties until this summer. I got to see them crush the Astros, which was very cool. :thu:

The vibe in town was pretty amazing. It really does something to the atmosphere of metro-Detroit when the Tigers are on a play-off run. I really hope they have gotten over that slump they were in at the end of the regular season. I would love to see them win it all this year.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Since 2004, I've pulled for the Yanks. That was the year Andy Phillips, whom I went to high school with, got called up from the minors.

I'm a Cards fan, though I think they will have their hands full in the NLCS

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

The sad thing for Detroit is next year the Yankees will be in play-off contention again and the Tigers will be watching them on TV. Same thing every year the Yanks are the team to beat and some one shot wonder seems to pull it off.

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

wow. yeah, because the way not to build a team is around really talented, young pitchers and solid position players, all of whom can hit fairly well.

next thing you know, joe torre's 11 playoff trips in 11 years, with 6 world series appearances and 4 championships is the reason why he should be fired, too.

is it opposite day in here?

robb.

Congrats to our Tiger fans. It seems the Yankees didn't put up the fight that they needed to put up, and Detroit has certainly been strong this year. Good luck in the ALCS.

I would be OK with A-Rod being traded. I bet he would be OK with it as well. Jeter is such a strong player and has so many positive characteristics.

I remember visiting Detroit after the previous championship. People were happy!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Chad:

"I support two teams; the Red Sox, and whoever beats the Yankees." - seen on T-shirts all over New England. [/QB]

Worn by a bunch of psychotics. Red Sox fans have a team with a great tradition. Stop the hating. It's ugly.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Boston is interesting. I went to a game in Fenway pre-Boston winning the World Series...

The Red Sox were playing against the Angels.

They started chanting "Yankees Suck!"

Those fans would rather see the Yankees lose than the Red Sox win.

Totally. A friend of mine was on vacation on Cape Cod with his kid. The kid (like 8 years old) was wearing a Yankee hat, or a shirt. Some moronic middle aged Red Sox fan started yelling at the kid like an idiot. Talk about taking things too far.

Archived