Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Review: Sansamp 3 Channel Programmable DI

jlrush

I bought one of these about a month ago and have taken the time to get to know it a little before posting about it.

This Sansamp is the only preamp box (or box of any kind) that I've ever used, so I don't have anything to compare it to. And for 24 years I've used only my 63 P bass and various amps, running a clean sound.

The Sansamp has 16 factory presets that you can use as a starting reference and I played around with several until I found a few that I like. I chose the SVT (of course), clean boost, and slap settings.

The SVT and clean boost are similar settings with the SVT deeper and fatter, and the clean boost is clearer with more cut. The slap setting needs more volume than the other two but has a nice tone of it's own.

Before taking it to church I got the opportunity to jam with some guys, using my big rig. They are rockers with 3 loud guitars, and I cut through the mix better than I would have with my rack mount preamp. :cool:

Playing in church (through the PA) I used the SVT setting, and had to tweak it some to get the same fatter tone, but it's working out nicely.

I would rate this preamp as being very versatile, and all the knobs are sensitive to the slightest adjustment. A nice little preamp box. This will take me a while longer to find out all that it can do, but it's been fun so far. :D

Jim

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I like it too. For me this is new ground to cover, and in the future I'll probably buy some effects boxes to go with it to experiment with other sounds, mainly to beef up or enhance a basically clean sound. Any suggestions anyone?

In the past year and a half I've taken up 5 string and now this Sansamp, and the new sounds have been fun to play around with.

www.themojoroots.com

I'm not ashamed to ask this question: what use is a DI and why would I benefit from buying myself one?

I know the last gig I did, I had to play through one of them things but the sound guys had it with them. Don't ask me for a brand - it looked like a DI box, that's all I can tell :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

I'm not ashamed to ask this question: what use is a DI and why would I benefit from buying myself one?

I know the last gig I did, I had to play through one of them things but the sound guys had it with them. Don't ask me for a brand - it looked like a DI box, that's all I can tell :D

DI explained

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

A peamp DI like Sansamp, MXR M80, Hartke Bass Attack, and Radial JDI can help you shape your tone in ways that you can't with just a bass and an amp.

When I was looking to buy one of these boxes I got alot of ideas from this forum. Alot of the guys use them, and you can combine these with other boxes and pedals to give you more possibilities.

www.themojoroots.com

Originally posted by jlrush:

For me this is new ground to cover, and in the future I'll probably buy some effects boxes to go with it to experiment with other sounds, mainly to beef up or enhance a basically clean sound. Any suggestions anyone?

Well, some effects that work well with clean bass tone that aren't too wacky are a chorus, very small delay (like in 5 ms), and a compressor. So far, I've had some pretty good experiences with the Aphex Aural Exciter pedal that I'm using (Aural Exciter on the top end and optical compressor on the bottom end). If you are interested in something a little less conservative, maybe try a couple auto-wah or envelope filter pedals, or maybe the pork-oriented distortion pedal that Sweet Willie posted about.

Just a thought here...I don't know how many different playing techniques you use, but if you haven't really focused on more than one, you might find you've got a whole pedalboard of effects built into your hands. If you mainly use fingerstyle, try some of the other alternatives...slap, thumb-plucking, playing with a pick, etc. Or if you already do all these, then maybe try doing them in different spots of the strings (closer to the the neck, closer to the bridge, etc.) I've been working for a while to get myself to where I can kind of "disconnect" the bass line itself from the technique I use to produce it (if that makes any sense). In other words, if I've got a cool bassline in my head, I want to be able to play it fingerstyle, slap/pop it, and thumb-pluck it...that way I can execute the bassline I hear in my head, but make it sound different...sometimes that helps find the "sound" that fits the song, sometimes it makes an effect unnecessary, etc. Just some thoughts to ponder.

Anyway, glad to hear the Sansamp is working for you! I originally bought the MXR M80 because it kind of has two channels...if the 3-channel Sansamp had existed then, I probably would have picked it up instead.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey Dave,

I'm mainly a finger style player and have explored plucking in different positions along the body. My Jazz V is the first bass I've had where doing that seemed to give me any distinct differences in tone. For some reason my P basses never quite sounded like I wanted when used that way.

The new G&L works even better for this technique, and using the Sansamp adds more variety. I borrowed an envelope filter from my guitar player awhile back and tried it by itself a little. After I get more accustomed to the Sansamp I may put the ef in the mix. I'll give your other suggestions some thought too.

Thanks for your interest and support Dave. You are an asset to this forum and a good man too.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived