Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tweaking monitor level (mixer and powered monitor)?

We use a wimpy Carvin PA 620 mixer into a wimpy Peavey 75 powered monitor. What would be the best way to optimize sound...? There is a monitor level on the mixer and a monitor level on the monitor itself. There's also a monitor level for each channel on the mixer and an EQ on the monitor itself. Right now we have the level on the monitor to the max but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm. Unless the monitor is designed in such a way that it is expected for you to do so, running it flat out is probably less than ideal. You may be asking a gain stage to do a lot of work, thereby introducing extra noise and distortion. The same goes for any gain stage in the system. I'd say that about 75% on the monitor would be a decent place to set its level, and then dial things in from there with the monitor controls on the mixer. If you find yourself needing to do extreme things with the gain (way down or way up), then the preceding stage should be adjusted accordingly. An even better solution would be to carefully read the monitor documentation, to try to ascertain what the manufacturer feels are the ways to get the best results. Like I said, some models of powered speakers (especially the studio monitor kind) are designed to be run at full tilt, with attenuation available if you feel you actually need it. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Archived