Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lighted "Strobe Type" Metronome

kenthemimic

I already checked the search function out.

I'm looking for anyone who can tell me where to get or how to make a metronome that has or can be attatched to a strobe light or some other bright light that we all can see. Our drummer is having difficulty hearing metronome clicks and would like us to investigate the lighted metronome possibility. I searched the internet and came up with zero, zip, zilch and nada. Perhaps a lighting / sound tech or some other electronics guru out there can help?

I realize I've posted quite a bit in the few weeks I've been here but you people are most helpful, respectful and downright pleasant to chat with and I appreciate the experience you all have and the willingness to share it with others. Once I get my run-on sentences in check my posts will be a lillte less frustrating to read. Promise.

Thanks!

Ken

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rocky, the drum machine we have and also the metronomes we have have a puny LED that not everyone can see. I was thinking something more of a strobe or very large light that you can't miss. It's been impossible to find anything on this if it even exists at all. Thanks though.
Ken

There has to be a way to hook a nice drum machine, or something like that to a light show. Normally the lights are cued by the music, but I would think there would be a way to control it by midi maybe? Ill check into it nect time im at the music school/theater and see if the lighting guys know of anything. Or you could just set a strobe light up next to him and have him turn the dial till it flashs on time, but ya better hope it is constant and doesnt mess up!

Good luck

There must be a way to use the headphone out jack on a metronome to connect it to a light.

If I really wanted to do it, I probably could figure out a way.

P.S. I just looked at the Google ads on the right of the page and because of the title of the thread, they are all advertising various strobe lights.

Jeremy, what would it take for you to really want to do it? Me to buy a t-shirt? :)

I saw a hilarious T-shirt at the bar the other night. A guy had it on and it said "Tell your breasts to quit staring at my eyes" but it used a rather slang term for breasts.

Ken

If you could find a RUSSIAN DRAGON RD-2 by Jeanius Electronics on eBay (the company has long been out of business), that would solve the problem.

The unit attached to one of the drums and had a row of lights which would tell the drummer if he was speeding up or slowing down.

Once I did a gig with a drummer who kept his eyes on it the whole night. It was a terrible night for me, he never grooved or locked into a feel.

Let me think about how to convert an audio signal into something that would trigger a light.

Do a search on 555 timer projects. That would give you some simple 9v battery based circuits you could modify. Maybe each member could have their own LED attached to a long lead.

PM me if you want some advice.

I've spent many years making little projects up when I really should have been addressing the root of my problems, not trying to find ways around them. Firing big lights off relays etc will put transients and spikes on your mains AC which will be heard as loud unpleasant clicks from your amps, so I'd advise against this route.

Personally, I think you need to just worry about you and the drummer locking in. A single metronome with a bright LED is best. Everyone else will/must follow you two. Unfortunately if the rest of the band think you are dragging or racing or dropping beats, its either because you are, or they aren't up to the job. You need to spend some time (drummer and bass only) together working on this.

Watch out with clicks, my brother is half deaf in one ear from spending too long in recording studios drumming to too loud click tracks.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived