Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate Slap Bass Now On Sale!!!

Stuart Clayton

Hi,

My new book 'Ultimate Slap Bass' is arriving from the printers on Tuesday October 3rd. Consequently I am now able to take preorders. Books will be shipped next week sometime. Visit www.basslinepublishing.com to order your copy now!!

Many thanks to those of you who have already ordered!

Cheers

Stu

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D Go Picker ...

But I'll play. Stuart, please tell me why I should pick your book over any other slap bass instruction book out there?

This is a genuine question, I'd really like to pick up this technique, so sooner or later I'll be buying a book anyway.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

First of all, yeah, I know it's a bit of a shameless plug-spam-thing whatever, but just so you know, I am not relying on free forum advertising to plug this book. I've taken out ads in Bass Player magazine, and the newsletter as well. Hopefully that in some way absolves me of being a 'total spammer!'

As to why you should pick my book over any other - quite simply, I think it's better. Besides compiling over 225 exercises, i have written an exhaustive essay on the history of the technique, interviewed some top players - Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm and Mark King for example and recorded 2 CD's worth of material. The book also caters for EVERYONE - beginners to advanced players, so there's something for everyone. Not to belittle any of the other slap books out there (because there are several great ones), but mine features much more info on the 'hows' and why's, rather than just being a book of exercises with little explanation.

Finally, having written six instructional titles for Sanctuary Publishing, as well as authoring the popular Level 42 transcription series, I have a lot of experience as a writer. If you'd like to see some reviews of my work, please visit www.stuartclayton.com, and check out the books page. Click each book for reviews and info.

Thanks for the questions guys,

Stu

Well, if you look at the history of Stuart's posting (click on the "Posts:" at the bottom of his post) you'll see he's participated in the discussion a bit. Ed Friedland gave him a thumbs up in one post.

I don't think I'll be buying the book, but that's primarily because I'm not that interested in slapping anymore. I got pretty good at it, but I'm not sure it's pertinent to any music I play.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Don't get me wrong, I know Stuart's a respected member of this community :) Likewise I do understand Picker's comment as well. It goes to show that we don't have double standards on this forum: everyone gets flamed equally for (alleged) spamming :D

And my question was sincere. Thanks for the answer by the way :thu: I'm glad you didn't stop after "I think it's better" :D I may be picking this one up in the future. For now no pre-order just yet, I have enough material left to go through :(

I do indeed try to post on here where possible, and some of you will know that i am more active in other (UK-based) forums. I'm sure that you'll understand, that I'm not able to post everyday - nor do I feel obligated to! If a topic interests me, I'll jump on in.

The book is certainly not for everyone, but (in the UK at least) i've had plenty of interest for it. I hope to duplicate some of that interest worldwide, hence my posts - or 'shamless spamming' if you like!

Cheers

Stu

I have know Stu for some time now and I have to say, I have his back on this thread. Stu is a Bass player who is always willing to take the time and help any other Bass player out. He is a

very important part of the Bass playing community. I know he would not put out a product unless it was Miles ahead of what is out on the market now.

Mike

Stu is indeed a great player - we did a gig together in a funk band at college many years ago, but as he was on bass my job was to dance around in flares, wig and a silver waistcoat.

There's a video of it somewhere, will probably find it on Youtube one day! Really embarrassing. I'm a rubbish dancer.

The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

Originally posted by polyrhythm:

book sounds great, will it be available through any other online distro's?

At the moment the book is only available from www.basslinepublishing.com, although I am working hard to get it into shops around the UK and Europe, and onto sites such as BassBooks.com.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stuart:

Congrats on publishing an instructional book! I know that took some serious commitment to complete, and I applaud your efforts.

Now, humor me some questions. What makes this book "Ultimate"? What's covered in it? Any discussion of perpendicular slaps vs down-slaps? You mentioned double-thumb technique...do you discuss thumb-bounces, thumb down/up strokes, thump + down-pluck, or some other double-thumb technique? How about triple thumb technique (thumb thump + thumb down pluck + thumb up pluck)?

I'd assume you cover pop techniques as well...any multi-finger pop techniques? Double-pops? Triple-pops?

What about combinations of thumps and pops? Thump + single-pop? Thump + double-pop? Double-thump + single-pop? Thump + triple-pops? Double-thump + double-pop? Triple-thump + single pops? Double-thump + triple-pops? Triple thumps + double-pops? Triple-thump + triple-pops?

What else will we find? Tapped ghost notes? Hammer-ons, pull-offs, and such?

Not trying to bust your chops here...this is actually a sincere question even if it doesn't come across that way. I've looked at the URL you gave us and I really don't see any discussion of why it's "ultimate". Give us more info please!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave,

Happy to oblige. The book is divided into three sections, beginner, intermediate and advanced. The beginner section deals with basic slapping and popping, incorporating hammer-ons and pull-offs, and popular scales and modes for slap bass. The intermediate section teaches how to incorporate left hand slaps (ala Mark King, Stu Hamm etc), machine gun triplets, strumming (ala Stanley Clarke), double popping, and the use of doublestops. The advanced section covers the shuffle feel, open hammer pops (and many variations on this theme), three chapters on double thumbing which I believe covers all of the thumbing options you mentioned in your post. There's also a chapter on combining slap with other techniques, so you get to incorporate tapping and harmonics too. All of this is illustrated through the 227 exercises, most of which are demonstrated with full backing on the CD's. In addition to all this, the book features exclusive interviews with Marcus Miller, Mark King, Stu Hamm, Vail Johnson, and Ray Riendeau, contains a large discography, and a thorough look at the history of the technique. That's why it's ultimate. I'll update the site to include more info (good idea).

The book starts shipping today, and i'm hoping to get some reviews in soon. Once it's been reviewed by a few people I'll be sure to post them on the site for you to see.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Stu

This book is now on my shortlist of "to get" bass related items. Along with Ed's DVD (thanks Rowbee :thu: )

Not trying to hijack this thread, but lately I've noticed that, after years of fumbling around, trying-but-not succeeding and watching those who can do it, I have developed a rudimentary slap technique.

Entirely not sure where it comes from :confused: But I guess Stuart and Ed will provide valuable tools for turing this rudimentary technique into something useful :thu:

Very cool. I'm greatly looking forward to it as my practice time has become fairly bland and uninspired lately. I'm hoping this will provide that next spark to get me going all over again.

I must say, I've really been enjoying myself the last few evenings perusing your site, Stuart.

Originally posted by davio:

Very cool. I'm greatly looking forward to it as my practice time has become fairly bland and uninspired lately. I'm hoping this will provide that next spark to get me going all over again.

I must say, I've really been enjoying myself the last few evenings perusing your site, Stuart.

Why thank you... glad you like it!

Stu

Archived