Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it safe to plug my bass into...

Cen

I have a AV Cable to Stereo cable adapter..

Is it safe to plug that with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter into my bass? Ive done it and could hear myself play in the stereo syetem, but is it safe?

2. Is it safe to plug the bass into the Line in or Mic port on my computer? Any damage there?

Thanks for info!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zeronyne:

Just don't plug it into the wall.

And no matter HOW INVITING the toaster oven looks it will not give you that groovey warm grilled cheese feeling that you are after.
Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

A stereo and a computer are generally looking for what's called a line level input signal.

Most guitars and basses deliver what's been commonly referred to as a hi Z (or high impedance) signal. It is much weaker than line level. (Yeah, there's probably a better way to explain this. :P )

In order to bring the guitar signal up to line level, something like a preamp, DI box, modelling/effects unit, mixer, etc. needs to be used.

Is it safe? It should be if you use common sense.

For example, I wouldn't take the output from a power amp and feed that to a stereo or computer.

Even with a line level signal from my bass, I wouldn't try to drive my stereo's tiny 4-inch speakers too hard.

I routinely plug my bass into my effects pedal and then into my laptop for recording purposes. My recording software tells me if my signal is too high. To listen, I either plug in headphones or take the line out from the computer to the line in for my stereo.

I've also been known to plug my bass or guitar into my karaoke machine (don't laugh) hooked up to my stereo. It's a fairly beefy stereo, though.

I have a friend that uses a mixer to send guitar and mic signals to a boombox. :eek: I don't trust it to handle my bass (at least not at the volume levels he runs).

Originally posted by jeremy c:

In my first month of playing bass, I blew up my stereo by plugging the bass into it.

I didn't use a jack or an adapter, I wired it straight into the circuit board.

That was not a good idea.

Practice amps are cheap. Get one.

Hah! The first time I tried bass guitar I was 12 and had a stereo amplifier for home "hi-fi" (meaning 70s hi-fi) and the family TV (which had speakers, of course) and figured "bass->amp->speakers...what could go wrong?"

I have no idea how I had it rigged up but let's just say that the TV got donated to a ministry for the deaf since the subtitles still worked.

There is a product out there which has a 1/4" jack at one end and a USB connection at the other. It's about $100, but this converts the guitar signal such that the PC software such as Logic or Pro tools or whatever can record or just playlive. I do most of my practicing this way now.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Originally posted by Brocko777:

And no matter HOW INVITING the toaster oven looks it will not give you that groovey warm grilled cheese feeling that you are after.

No... you need one of these!

Seriously though... I've played through all sorts of things... TV sets, ghetto blasters, stereos and so on. Never seen the speakers blow but that's just me. Those things all sounded like crap but they were interesting in their own way.

If you're going to do it, turn the bass volume down a bit and try to avoid sudden spikes in volume.

Archived