Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Amp or New Bass

RayRay451

Hey Everyone,

I check out the board often but don't post very much. I see how everyone is pretty helpful so I'd like to get your input on something. I'm looking to start playing for my church soon so here's my dilemma - do I go after a new amp or upgrade to a new bass. I've been playing for about five/six years now, no gigging, just playing for the fun of it.

I have a Warwick Rockbass (which I love and suits my purposes currently) and a practice amp as well as some other toys but I don't have "serious" equipment since I've been pursuing my playing as a hobby so far. The church has some equipment so a new amp isn't required at the moment. I don't intend to gig around outside of church so I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Most players I see have some more high end basses and I suspect they may stand up better to Sunday/Wednesday/Friday playing.

I'm not a big gear freak... I mean, don't get me wrong, I drool over gear like the next player does. Still, I try to curb my urges as I have to get my budget requests past the Minister of Finance a.k.a my wife. ;)

ANY wisdom you could put out there would help!

RayRay

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, & welcome!!

If it were me, I'd do a couple of gigs with what was there & see if it works out, or what is lacking, then I'd be able to make a better estimation of requirements - but on the face of it, I can't imagine that the bass you already have is Not Good Enough!

So I'd be inclined to be doing some pre-thinking about amplification - maybe a nice little 2x10 combo would be useful both at Church & at home?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Almost any bass sounds better with a good amp. I don't know what kind of equipment your church has but it never hurts to have good dependable equipment of your own. I vote for the amp, you already have a good instrument. I'm thinking 250+ watts and a good 15" or two 10's. IMHO

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I agree. Buy an amp that sounds good to you. I suggest playing through several at a place like guitar center. They let me bring my bass in there to play through their amps. Musicians Friend has some pretty good deals on combo-amps.

I think your Warwick Rockbass should be fine. Perhaps if you have issue's with it (I don't know why you're considering a new bass) perhaps a good setup guy could make some adjustments on it to better suit your playing style.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Ken

"Off Our Meds" :freak:

Ken

You've come to the wrong place with that question, pal. I say go for a couple of custom basses (Lull, MTD, Dingwall, why not Ritter?), and then buy a rack full of huge power amps. Get 4 Ampeg 8x10 cabs to "round out" your sound (this compliment of cabs is known here as a "double Thanny" :freak: ). I'll leave it to you to figure out about the $1000 worth of effects.

Yes - I'm kidding. I agree with others that you are fairly well set. I think you can probably step up in the amp side with less money than on the bass side, so think about what cash is available. I find I love the feel of basses more than amps (though my rig isn't cheesy, it was for a while). Lastly, playing in church may open doors to opportunities outside of church (even jamming or friendly stuff if not another band). If that happens, you'll need an amp since you've got the bass.

Let us know how your thinking (not just decisions) go. We all learn from each other's reasoning.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

...and then buy a rack full of huge power amps. Get 4 Ampeg 8x10 cabs to "round out" your sound (this compliment of cabs is known here as a "double Thanny" :freak: ). I'll leave it to you to figure out about the $1000 worth of effects.

LMAO, good one.

However RR, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at amps. Your rockbass should be just fine I'd think.

Cheers

Newf :)

Thanks guys! I was kinda leaning towards an amp but wasn't quite sure. Now that I think about it more, I would have to get use to a new bass under my fingers while getting acclimated to new material... not a good combo. Good lookin' out everyone!

RayRay

Archived