Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

heavy metal bass lines

thunderbass

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. But I'll never tell. Try nymphetamine by CoF Du Hast by rammstien. In the fire on the roadrunner comp. Anything by Mudvayne or Cradle of Filth is pretty damn sweet. It's all about the black metal.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

I thought there was only one note in heavy metal, and you just played that note until the end of the song.

:D

Rocky

u r completely wrong, hav u ever even heard a heavy metal song. the bass is wut gives it that dark scary sound. but u probably listen to pop music or sumthin like, doncha?

Originally posted by thunderbass:

the bass is wut gives it that dark scary sound.

Hummmm, Dark scay sound? Is this music you are describing?

So it's not like light, happy sound? Nevermind !

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

u r completely wrong, hav u ever even heard a heavy metal song. the bass is wut gives it that dark scary sound. but u probably listen to pop music or sumthin like, doncha?
Hey dude, learn to chill out and you'll last longer 'round these parts.

Remember that when you post on a forum for the first time, you're basically walking up to a bunch of strangers at a bar and joining in on their conversation. Calling people names, getting smart with them, or insulting their taste in music won't get you answers here any easier than you would in real life.

Back to your question:

Cliff Burton played some sick basslines on the early Metallica records. Go pick 'em up and listen to them if you don't own them already. "Orion" off of Master of Puppets should be required listening for metal bassists...as is everything that Steve Harris ever played with Iron Maiden.

I also like the lines that Rex played with Pantera...a very underrated player, in my opinon.

thunder, Metal bass is very boring in 95% of situations. Because there is no real grove, and everything is 8th notes, with no rest except for the 4 count break. Besides the ones listed above, try Faith No More, some of there stuff would prbablly be good for ya. Clutch, might be off your style a little, but very fun. I think the guy from Iron Madden was on the cover of Bass Player this month. Probably some stuff in there.

For the other part of the thread:

I like parts of almost ever genre, and some of the metal guys can wax the arse of jazz players. Some of it is even musical. I would like to see a jazz drummer keep up with Dana Carry, or your standard rock/punk/country/church bassist keep up with the dude from mudvyne(i cant remeber names for crap). that being said,.........,....,.,.,,,.....,.,..., the 1 and 5.. or open string hammer-ons and pull offs in a minor pattern. CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUGCHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUGCHUG

RAAAAAWWWWRRRRR "incomprehensable screaming" "loud noise" "angry suberban kids jumping" "i wear black...i worship death"

Ok I got carried away.

If you're not good enough to play a song, try simplifying it/making your own bassline. I understand that for some songs, this doesn't work, but it's also a great creativity booster.

Also, when I find a line that's too fast/fingertwister for me to play, I make it into an exercise. I set my metronome slow, and I play the line slow, then keep setting it higher and higher, like I'd do with a scale. That helps.

Not a heavy metal person, really, though, so I wouldn't know any basslines. Just thought I'd add that...

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Thunderbass, start with the obvious players already mentioned. David Ellefson also comes to mind. Some favorites I would add are Martin Medez of Opeth and Jim Sheppard of Nevermore. They tend toward the melodic rather than just 8th notes. Also, Ian Hill's early stuff (prior to Hell Bent for Leather) is very melodic as well. Their later stuff is all about guitar, but the 70's are their best, musically.

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Welcome to the forum.

Yes I know a few. My favourite is The Trooper from Iron Maiden and also Ace of Spades, (Can't remember who that was by though.)

Maybe you'd like to introduce yourself in this thread here ....

Introduce Yourself

Maybe you like to at least put your country in your From section in your profile.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Albums: Kill 'em all, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets (Metallica)

Peace Sells... but who's buying, So Far So Good So What, Rust in Peace (Megadeth)

Live After Death, Number of the Beast, Killers (Iron Maiden)

Tribute (Ozzy)

You can probably guess that i've not listened to Metal for a few years.

And then if you're moving more into "Rock"...

John Paul Jones

John Entwhistle

Jack Bruce

Geddy Lee

Duff McKagan

Whassisname from Faith No More

etc. etc etc.

The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

... and from Rock you're only a hop away from Funkadelic, and that leads to a whole new world...

Just be careful - at 17 i was a metalhead and by 19 i was studying jazz!

The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

Archived