Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you mute with your left when you are tapping with the right?

DavidMPires

Hey guys

I am just getting started on this tapping thing.

I've chosed "always with me, always with you" by Satriani, I've already played that song but without tapping, but this time I want to make it sound like Stu does.

Well question is this:

When you are tapping with your right hand do you mute with your left one? I found dificult to have an even sound if I do not mute.

Also do you apply many strenght to tap? Or is just a matter of time until you get used to it?

Thanks everyone.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David,

No answer for you - sorry. But you might want try posting this on the Guitar Forum too. Most of us here do very little tapping (I only use it for the odd double-stop or special effect).

Something tells me a guitarist might be able to give you an applicable answer.

To be honest, I rarely think about muting (it just happens). Try whatever works best for you. I probably do mute while tapping but I'd have to chack whil playing when I get home. I think most tappers alternate between the tapped right hand note and a held left hand note on the same string((effectively muting) (cool on fretless as you can slide one or both of the notes).

I found this:

http://www.basstappingtechnique.com/

I wouldn't buy it but I'd watch the videos if it was something I was trying to do.

Try this (maybe more useful)

http://www.cliffengel.com/bass_lessons/online/free_bass_lessons/tapping/tapping_introduction/

My guess is, you need to mute.

As to strengh: it's often better to turn up and play softer but ask someone who does this regularly -hence the guitar forum

Good suggestions, Phil.

First off, tap on bass is not easy. A guitarist with good guitar tap technique is going to sound awful the first time he tries to tap on bass. (Same goes for string bends.)

To make things easier, you may want to switch to strings with lower tension, but this should not be necessary.

I'm not familiar with the song in question, but like many others I've tried Stu's arrangement of "Linus and Lucy" (the Charlie Brown song). Assuming that the Satriani piece is similar -- each hand is working independently on different strings -- then yes, there could be a problem damping the strings tapped by your normal plucking hand (typically right hand). (As Phil points out, when doing Eddie Van Halen-style tap -- where the RH taps and then does a pull-off to a LH fretted note -- damping is usually not a problem.)

The string damping (or muting) for two-hand tap like Stu does is such a problem that when an instrument was created specifically for this technique, it added special damping material under the strings near the nut. If you google for "Chapman stick" you should be able to find out more about how they dampen their instruments.

On these forums I noticed someone mentioned recently the use of a "hair scrunchie" -- used by girls for hair fashions -- to use as a muting aid while slapping. This is nothing more than a rubber (rubber band on this side of the pond) covered by a cloth. The scrunchie is moved onto the head when not in use, and over the nut (?) when needed. This may be worth looking into.

Otherwise, I think I try to keep my RH finger tips in contact with the strings at all times. Push down to tap, lift up to mute, but don't lose contact with the strings. This requires that the gain be turned up (as Phil states) and care (or careful EQing) be taken to even the volume between RH and LH, as my LH tends to be louder this way.

Thanks guys.

I do feel that is hard to tap that way.

But I'll keep practising as I love that song and now my aim is to make it sound great on my hands.

You should have alisten to it.

You can find it on the album "surfing with the alien" by Satriani.

Also I notice that I need to increase volume to make it sound good.

I think it will a matter of time untill I manage to play it.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

On these forums I noticed someone mentioned recently the use of a "hair scrunchie" -- used by girls for hair fashions -- to use as a muting aid while slapping. This is nothing more than a rubber (rubber band on this side of the pond) covered by a cloth. The scrunchie is moved onto the head when not in use, and over the nut (?) when needed. This may be worth looking into.

Victor Wooten uses a "scrunchie" just in front of the nut to mute his strings when he's slapping or tapping.

His brother Reggie does the same thing on guitar, but tends to use larger, multiple scrunchies and move them around the neck to suit what he's doing.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Archived