Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Plz help me find the fret filling article in BP/site on how to

JonathanD

After MONTHS of looking for a neck for my MIM jazz bas I finally found one that fits. It's a MIA neck and the frets have been removed, which was a plus because I wanted to make it fretless!! I'm so happy, I can't put it into words:! ! ! :)

Now, i am opposed to spending $105 for someone else to fill in the frets with puddy if i can do it myself. Can anyone remember what issue of BP had that lesson in it? I cant find it and may jsut be imagining it. Any web address's would be great also. BTW, good to see you all again, I have been away for the summer and didnt check the forum much.

Thanks, Jonathan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did this recently to a cheap Keiper bass.

I used plastic wood from a tube. You can get a dark colour if you want to blend in the slots, or a light colour, like me, if you're unsure of yourself and still want to see where the frets used to be.

I made sure all the slots were clean - a metal ruler is good for this - not too sharp.

I pressed the end of the tube against the slot & squeezed, turning it round in small circles to force the plastic wood into the slots.

A lot of PW was lost, but I filled the slots.

I then let it set for 24hrs and sanded down using 3 grades of wet/dry emery paper backed with rubber foam/sponge. I started dry & then did the wet thing.

I ended with finishing paper and finally steel wool & oil (I use Liquid Gold but I've found that a high-grade virgin olive oil seems to work pretty well too).

Patience and not too heavy a touch.

Hope this helps, Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I used maple veneer for the fret slots on mine. I got small sheets (about 7 X 10 inches) from a local woodworking shop.

IMO the veneer better stands up to the compression effect of a neck under string and truss-rod tension. Looks better too, but is a bit more labor intensive, due to having to cut the pieces of veneer individually for each fret slot.

I used Elmer's Carpenter's glue, patience, and judicious sanding.

Good luck.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

If you don't fill the slots, the neck *will* eventually compress and you will end up with a huge bow and the ability to assassinate members of your audience by firing arrows from the G string while playing gigs.

Something needs to fill the slots. Veneer is the elegant solution, plastic wood the easy-out.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived