Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone here speak Dutch?

tnb

Does anyone hear speak Dutch? This is from a friends myspace page

"Steeds vaker constateer ik dat Roots rock bandjes eigenzinnig teruggrijpen naar materiaal wat lijkt op legendarische rock bands uit de zeventiger en tachtiger jaren. Niets mis mee overigens, maar daar schuilt wel direct het gevaar dat je daarop ook juist word afgerekend. Met name de wat oudere luisteraar pleegt dit te doen. Kruip daarom even in de huid van deze solo singer-songwriter die nog steeds helemaal uit zijn dak kan gaan bij muziek afkomstig van Elvis Costello, The Beatles, Neil Finn, Aimee Mann, Paul Westerberg/The Replacements, Beck, Jeff Buckley, U2 en Tom Waits.Ik denk daarmee ook meteen de spijker op sen kop te slaan als ik luister naar de derde cd: "Saving Secret Grace" van Eric Fontana. Eerder verscheen in 2000 het album "Sound Station Seven" en "Hats & Shoes" in 2003. En zoals op deze vorige platen is "Saving Secret Grace" wederom een solo album geworden, hetgeen haast mag gezegd worden want Fontana schreef en zong in zijn eentje alle songs op dit album en bespeelde daarbij ook vele verschillende instrumenten. Op deze gevarieerde plaat kan u dus elementen vinden uit rock, folk, country, Americana, rhythm & blues tot zelfs Britpop toe. De mooiste momenten zijn wel de swingende opener "Wish", het rustige "Everybody Knows" en de soulvolle afsluitende titeltrack. Absolute hoogtepunt is volgens ons wel het Chris Rea getinte "Scattering", pure Britpop als het ware. Dit album "Saving Secret Grace" heeft een modern pop rock aroma met een humeurige smaak, waaraan ik in ieder geval een buitengewone lekkere nasmaak aan over heb gehouden."

-ROOTSTIME

Here's his page: http://www.myspace.com/ericfontana

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm at work right now so I don't have time to translate all that.

In short: he really likes the cd and finds the varied mix of rock, folk, country, Americana, rhythm & blues and even Britpop very entertaining.

Will that do? If not I'll do the whole text tonight - provided I have the time. If none of the others jump on it (Head w/ Wings or CloClo amongst others) and I seem to have forgotten, PM me - I will keep my word :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Translated from babelfish: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Always more often I observe that Roots rock bands revert eigenzinnig to material what seems link from the zeventiger and tachtiger on legendary rock years. Nothing wrong moreover, but there hides directly the danger that you are also correctly settled up then. Particularly what commits older auditor do this. Crawl for this reason just as in the skin of these solo singer-songwriter that still entirely from its roof can go at music originating from Elvis Costello, The Beatles, Neil Finn, Aimee Mann, Paul Westerberg/The Replacements, Beck, Jeff Buckley, U2 and TOMs Waits. I think with that also immediately the nail on s'en head of beating if I listen to the third cd: "Saving Secret Grace" of Eric Fontana. Rather the album "sound station Seven" appeared in 2000, and "Hats & Shoes" in 2003. and like on these previous plates "Saving Secret Grace" a solo album has again become, which hurries himself can be said because Fontana wrote and sang on his own all songs on this album and played on thereby different instruments also a lot of. On this varied plate are possible briton headstock you therefore elements even invent rock, folk, country, Americana, rhythm & blues to. The most beautiful moments is, however, the swinging opener "Wish", the quiet "Everybody Knows" and the soulvolle closed titeltrack. Absolute peak is according to us, however, the Chris Rea getinte "Scattering", pure briton headstock as it were. This album "Saving Secret Grace" has a modern headstock rock aroma with a humeurige taste, to which I have kept in any case an extraordinary nice after-taste concerning.

Three comments:

(1) I'm rusty when it comes to translating. It's been over a year since I graduated and I haven't really translated much since.

(2) I have not re-read this translation, because it's late and I have a Chimay waiting for me :thu:

(3) EZ, I got gas for a Vette myself :D

Here goes:

It seems to me that todays roots rock bands are all following a new trend: tapping into the sound of legendary 70s and 80s bands. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there is always the risk of being criticised for this very fact, particularly by elder listeners. Keeping this in mind, take a moment to relate to this solo singer-songwriter who can still go all-out when he listens to Elvis Costello, The Beatles, Neil Finn, Aimee Mann, Paul Westerberg/The Replacements, Beck, Jeff Buckley, U2 and Tom Waits.

I think I hit the nail on the head here with regards to Eric Fontanas third cd Saving Secret Grace. Previous albums appeared in 2000 (Sound Station Seven) and in 2003 (Hats & Shoes).And just like these aforementioned albums, Saving Secret Grace has become a solo-effort in every sense of the word: Fontana wrote and sang all songs by himself, and played many different instruments as well.

This varied album will treat you to elements of rock, folk, country, Americana, rhythm & blues and even Britpop. Highlights include the swinging opening track Wish, the calm Everybody Knows and the soulful closing title track. The definite highlight for is Scattering, which is reminiscent of Chris Rea. Britpop at its finest. This album, Saving Secret Grace, has a modern pop rock feel with a twist, which I quite appreciated.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived