Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Five String Bass

Chimbote

I've been playing bass for some yers now, I have always played on a four string guitar. Now after so long, I'll have a new 5 string guitar, where should I start, I would like to read on how to play the 5 string bass and learn the right way? If you have any links to where I can learn about my extra string...I'm ready.

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put the 4 string in it's case and play nothing but the 5 string for atleast 6 months. If you only play the 5 occasionally and keep playing the 4, then the 5 will always appear harder or more complex. Much easier to switch your thinking to go from 5 to 4 than to go from 4 to 5. Put the 4 in it's case.

Play everything that play in G starting on the 8th fret of the G string instead of the 3rd fret of the E string. Just play across the strings.

Then practice in E and F, once again starting on the B string.

Play something in D and drop down to the low D on the 3rd fret.

Try playing two octave scales straight across the neck. Practice all of them. Work out all your own fingerings.

If you can read music, get some cello music and read it. Cellos go down to low C (although theirs is an octave higher than your low C).

Relearn every song you know using your new string.

Don't take any bull from anyone who asks you why you aren't playing four strings.

I'll second what Jeremy said, especially about the bull part :D

You know, playing a 5 is no rocket science. It's one string added and that's it.

You're not breaking any unwritten rules (though some may disagree :rolleyes: ) and you have nothing more or nothing less to prove than the next guy.

Above and beyond all: have fun.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Hey I was like you, in fact I didn't see any reason to get a 5er, but when I did wow, I don't even like to play a four string bass now, but a 5er is all I need no six string basses for me thats too many strings hahahaaahah
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

Pretend the B string is not there. Use it for a thumb rest. Every now and then you will find a good use for the Low B and before you know it, you will be using it all the time. Nothing changes on the fretboard except there is one more string. Don't sweat it, it will come natural.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by EZ:

Hey I was like you, in fact I didn't see any reason to get a 5er, but when I did wow, I don't even like to play a four string bass now, but a 5er is all I need no six string basses for me thats too many strings hahahaaahah

Hey EZ, ever notice how everyone with a 4, wants a 5, and then a 6, and then 7's & 8's.

I wonder, Do the make Bass Harps???

:D

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Like Rocky and jcadmus said, I rarely play the low B, but I love it for anchoring my thumb. I no longer need to anchor on the pickups like I did on my 4-string. It now allows me to play anywhere on the thing comfortably.

My only problem with a 5-string is that my slappin is horrid with the string spacing. I'm not a great slapper to begin with, but it was much easier for me on a 4, but with practice I'm sure I can get my thumb to hit one string instead of two LOL.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Archived