Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So i played a dean today

soretro80s

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Dean Edge fretless 5 with non-stock EMG-HZ pickups...I like it, but I don't love it. It plays really well, there's good variety of tone from the two pickups. It's tone is a little on the darker side versus my current tastes (it IS a passive bass), but it does deliver some very good mwah, and a pretty convincing upright-ish tone if thumb-plucked on the bottom of the neck. It's very lightweight and well-balanced, neck on the 5-string is a 35" scale (not sure about the 4-string) and it's very thin, but still appears to be quite stable...string spacing is quite close (but that works OK for me on a fretless). The tuners and bridge are on the cheapish side. The finish is gorgeous in bright lights. For the price, it's a good value IMHO, if you like it's sound and playability.

Physically, I would somewhat categorize these into the same league as some of the middle-to-higher end Ibanez SoundGear basses...the body, neck, and string spacing feels very similar...the tone is very different however.

That said, I played one of the fretted Dean basses with an active preamp and it wasn't my cup of tea sonically...however, the quality seemed to be on par with what I've experienced with my fretless. I've also played one of the Dean 10-string basses (dual-course 5-string)...that was quite nice sonically...I would probably buy one if I thought I'd use it enough to justify the purchase (but I don't think I would).

If you liked it however, isn't that all you need to know?

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by jlrush:

I haven't played one, but have wondered about how they sound. How's it sound compared to your P bass? Is your P a Fender?

I have an old suzuki p bass. this thing plays amazing compared to it. it sound so nice. it plays so sweet. the action is unbelivable. i was kind of skittish about dean. because their prices are so low. but it they all play like that and sound like that.. then ive thought wrong. I guess you can get nice stuff for cheap..these days though..you can never tell. like you pretty much get what you pay for.

Originally posted by soretro80s:

This one to be exact

http://www.deanguitars.com/bnds_v1/edge_1_transred.htm

honestly. it was amazing. and im really thinking about getting one of these.

what are your opinions on this bass? i love it. it sounds and plays amazing.

Are you looking for validation? If you played it and liked it, you should buy it based on your experience.

Guitar Center usually stocks a good number of Dean basses; you might be able to find what you are looking for there.

Originally posted by getz76:

Originally posted by soretro80s:

This one to be exact

http://www.deanguitars.com/bnds_v1/edge_1_transred.htm

honestly. it was amazing. and im really thinking about getting one of these.

what are your opinions on this bass? i love it. it sounds and plays amazing.

Are you looking for validation? If you played it and liked it, you should buy it based on your experience.

Guitar Center usually stocks a good number of Dean basses; you might be able to find what you are looking for there.

I just wanted other peoples opinions, before i buy it.

I've been mildly interested in a couple of Dean 8 and 10 strings. They're decent instruments for the price. Are they perfect? Far from it, but at that price they're competitive with the rest of the market. The proof is always going to be in the playing. Play the instrument and give it a fair shot. If it's playable and has a decent tone then it might be worth your while. If it has issues at the store, then you may want to steer clear.

The bigger issue may be that you need to be a more discerning consumer. Especially with your Guitar Center horror stories. Any instrument at any dealer should be well setup and ready to play. If it isn't, then the dealer should be ready and willing to setup the instrument to a reasonable level of playability. If you should come across an instance of an instrument not being playable (very bad neck relief) and the dealer isn't interested in making the necessary adjustments? Walk out. You're getting set to potentially spend HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS on an instrument. That's not an insignifigant ammount.

But you have to exercise an equal ammount of responsibility as the dealer. It's your job to make sure that you're buying a playable instrument just as much as it's the dealer's responsibility to have the instrument ready for someone to check out. Spend your money and choose an instrument dealer wisely.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Nicklab:

Any instrument at any dealer should be well setup and ready to play. If it isn't, then the dealer should be ready and willing to setup the instrument to a reasonable level of playability. If you should come across an instance of an instrument not being playable (very bad neck relief) and the dealer isn't interested in making the necessary adjustments? Walk out.

+1. In fact, it's perfectly acceptable to ask them to do a setup on it and call you so that you can come back and play it again before you actually buy it. I did that recently with a Pedulla Thunderbass in GC that wasn't set up well. They did a very good job (not perfect, but good), and called me to tell me it was ready for me to come back and check it out again. They didn't sell that particular bass to me, but it now having a good setup will help it sell faster to someone else, so it's not like their effort was wasted...it was just invested in their current inventory. ;)

On the Dean notes...I was recording something with my Dean fretless today. I had forgotten about this, but some notes on the neck really resonate well while others don't. I was aiming for an upright-ish sound by thumb picking on the neck, and not using any compression either to preserve more upright-like dynamics. Under these conditions, the dead spots on the neck were really noticeable. Under more typical circumstances (usually playing it live, normal fingerstyle, mild compression) the dead spots aren't very noticeable but there definitely are some.

Also, my fretless is a very dark-sounding bass unless I solo the bridge pickup (I generally prefer very bright-sounding basses...much easier to get them sounding quite good in a recording...it's always easy to boost some lows live if you need to). The Dean is passive, so I don't expect it to have that "active bass sheen"...but, it was surprising how much lows I had to roll off, and mids and highs I had to boost to get it to sit well in the mix. The fretboard is also rosewood, which doesn't help it sound any brighter. I've thought about sealing the fingerboard with Cyanoacrylyic polymer (ie. Superglue ;) )...hardening the fingerboard should brighten it up some. I've also got an unused EMG-BQS active preamp lying around, and have thought about installing that in it. Or maybe I should just buy a different fretless, eh? ;) As I said earlier, I like it...I just don't love it.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by getz76:

No doubt.

You will probably be able to play your way through a few Dean basses at your local (or not so local) Guitar Center. Watch out for the ones right out of the box -- they haven't been played in as well as the ones that have had some time on the shop floor for acclimatization.

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived