Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Richard Bona performing at Monterey Jazz Festival Sept. 15

AlChuck

Less than a hundred miles away for me, I might be able to get there and see him play with his own group for once!

As a bonus, the Yellowjackets are playing that evening too with Robben Ford guesting on guitar...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky me! Every year I get to do some AFM work at the Monterey Jazz Festival. I get the musicians paid for the live local public radio station broadcast of the main stage. I'll have the opportunity to meet Richard Bona. I've been friends with Russ Ferrante for a number of years, he actually played with my wife and I back before the Yellowjackets. My understanding is that the arena tickets are sold out but one can still get ground tickets. Many of the arena acts also do a set on one of the ground stages.

AlChuck, let me know if you decide to go.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Richard's coming to Blues Alley with Mike Stern and Dennis Chambers here in D.C. in October and I already got my ticket. It's Mike's group, but I know Richard usually uses his Fodera with his V-Bass stuff when he plays with Mike. I'd pay doulble just to see that..... Still, nothing's like Monterey........
"sometimes you're the baseball. Sometimes you're the bat."

Originally posted by AlChuck:

Less than a hundred miles away for me, I might be able to get there and see him play with his own group for once!

As a bonus, the Yellowjackets are playing that evening too with Robben Ford guesting on guitar...

Dude! Don't miss it!! No matter what it takes, be there!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Go if you can! I saw him for the 1st time with Pat Methany a 2-3 years ago where he not only played outstanding bass but sat down to a drum set and did a killer solo and he sings like a bird. I also got to meet him before and after his Kuumbwa show last year and he was just as nice a fellow you'd ever want to meet. Class act.

Cheers,

Toby Gray

• 2 weeks later...

Since the MJF starts tomorrow I thought I'd give it a bump. As I stated earlier in this thread the main arena stage sells out early but they almost always have ground passes (if you decide to go call and make sure the ground passes are still available).

Richard Bona performs a second time on Friday at 11 p.m. at the Night Club stage. On Saturday night at Dizzy's Den Robben Ford plays at 10 p.m. and the Yellowjackets play that same stage at 11:30 p.m.

I'll be there all weekend if any Lowdowners make it let's try to connect. I'll be spending most of my time in the office which is near the entrance.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived