Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Meshell Ndegeocello

Barks

I am wearing out my Meshell Ndegeocello albums lately. I just love the bass sound she gets.

Whilst I know that she is usually a big Jazz bass user I wondered if anyone knew more specifically what her set up was, especially the older stuff on albums like 'Plantation Lullabies'.

Would there be an amp involved or does she usually record direct etc.?

I think I read that she uses flatwound strings too somewhere.

I just love that bass sound.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i believe at that time she was also using a gibson les paul bass ( you can hear it on the slaps on " sould record" ) and at some time she loved a celinder. not sure what amps, but when i saw here she was using sunn amps. i agree, she is super bad.. reminds me some of paul jackson with the headhunters. she has incredible feel.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

She uses Thomastik jazz flats which are definitely a key part of that very warm yet midrangey sound. It doesn't sound like there's much, if any, amp in the sound on Plantation Lullabies. And she rolls off most of the treble. Super bad are two great words to describe her - I need to get some more of her albums!

Alex

Archived