Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stap locks

jmcd

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just tried the new Far East version - I think they are called 'Marvel' but I'm not sure.

They are like in inverted Dunlop - you have to pull in the ring at the back instead of the button at the front. It works on the same principal, though.

IMHO they are Good Enough.

However, it's not the lock that's the problem (usually) it's the integrity of the screw holding it in.

There's no point in having a strap lock if the screw is loose, so make sure it fits tight by dipping wooden toothpicks in wood glue and putting them in the screwhole to fill it out and give the new screw plenty of good purchase. The 'Marvel' has a decent supplied screw, like the 'Dunlop'.

I have 4 guitars, 1 with Dunlop, 1 with Marvel & 2 with Schaller, and 3 basses, all with Schaller, simply because they are much more available.

But it's the screw that's important.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Dunlops here.

The only thing that ever went bad on mine was that the post simply wore down so much that the mechanism on the strap no longer had any surface area to attach itself. I replaced the posts, and all was good again.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH SCHALLERS. THE NUT GETS LOOSE AND THEN THE LOCK COMES OFF THE STRAP. I AM GOING TO PUT SOME LOCKTITE ON THE THREADS. MAYBE THAT WILL CURE THE PROBLEM.

ROCKY

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

There's no point in having a strap lock if the screw is loose...
I have a screw loose, so far that hasn't effected my strap locks. :P

I use Dunlops on a few basses. They work well for me, but I don't jump around while playing.

I use black DiMarzio strap locks on all my basses and I've never had a problem with them. Plus they're black so they make everything a little bit louder.

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH SCHALLERS. THE NUT GETS LOOSE AND THEN THE LOCK COMES OFF THE STRAP. I AM GOING TO PUT SOME LOCKTITE ON THE THREADS. MAYBE THAT WILL CURE THE PROBLEM.

ROCKY

Locktite isn't going to help in this situation because it's primarily designed for metal on metal application. A bit of wood glue will help keep the screws in place if they are backing out on you. Putting a toothpick in the hole prior to inserting the screw can also tighten things up.

btw - Your 'caps lock' key is still broken.

Another Dunlop user here. I ditched the Schallers that came on my P bass for the Dunlop "dual design" straplocks. I just like them better, plus it gives you the ability to use a regular strap if needed.

Originally posted by wraub:

The rubber washers from Grolsch beer bottles still work well too. ;)

Peace,

wraub

That's similar to what I use, but my washers camme from some kind of lemonade bottle.

May have to look for some of the Grolsch stuff.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Matt W:

I know not of the lemonade of which you speak, but this is the stuff...

http://www.ectrade.cz/typo3temp/pics/e60434d380.jpg

Bottle second from left has the recloseable ceramic top with rubber washer. This is your target. ;)

The beer's not bad, either.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

As an OT aside, the title of this thread makes me hope for some kind of controls on Scott Stapp.

I realize it's just a typing error, but...

Can't a guy dream?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

Originally posted by Matt W:

I know not of the lemonade of which you speak, but this is the stuff...

http://www.ectrade.cz/typo3temp/pics/e60434d380.jpg

Bottle second from left has the recloseable ceramic top with rubber washer. This is your target. ;)

The beer's not bad, either.

Peace,

wraub

Frankly, I don't remeber the lemonade either, but I kept the washers after reading about your strap lock system on a post many moons ago.

I visited the Grolsch website also, the target is in sight. There's a question of local availability, but that will be addressed soon enough. :thu:

FWIW, looks like the lemonade people and the Grolsch people use the same off-orange but not quite red washers.

- Matt W.

I use the Grolsch locks to keep my MM 'Ray5 securely strapped. The process of obtaining these locks was far more enjoyable, say, than the process of ordering Dunlop straplocks for my Carvin...

The FoL has oversized strap buttons. It will likely get Grolsch locks as well. Mmmmmmm...

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Schaller are good, but be aware of a potential problem: their design means that the metal straplock rubs against the metal strap pin. I actually had a strap pin split in half after many hours of playing due to the metal surfaces grinding away at each other. The best solution is to not attach the strap lock piece to your strap, but keep it seperate and lock it on after you've put the strap on the bass.

hey thanks guys for all the info. So far i got a SKB-44 for my fender jazz and also ordered a set of dunlop duel strap locks.

Thanks for all your help. As you can tell im a new bassist. I've been playing for a year. But only seriously for a few months. I'm not in a band, but I jam with a jam band and a metal band from time to time.

If you guys got any tips or suggestions that would be awesome. Maybe some websites to learn theory or playing styles and technique.

all that ever has been always will be, and all that ever will be always has been.

Archived