Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Making a Passive Bass sound "Active"

LowK4

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Typically, an active preamp allows you to boost the signal level as well as have a wider range of level control on your bass, mids, and treble as oppossed to a passive setup that just has a tone control that basically rolls off the treble level. A Pandora PX4B allows you to boost the signal level as well as have a wider range of level control on your bass, mids, and treble as oppossed to a passive setup that just has a tone control that basically rolls off the treble, PLUS a whole lot of other stuff as well. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I was watching Ed Friedland's slap DVD last night, & he switched his bass from active to passive, adding outboard EQ to the passive signal to compensate. I couldn't really tell the difference, which seemed to be his point.

So I'd say yes. (With the caveat that "sounds like" means different things to different people.)

Except for maybe 10' of "patch-cord" from bass to "stomp-box", I wouldn't think there was a difference in an onboard/outboard preamp. Personally, I like having an onboard preamp so I can change the EQ faster between (or during) songs.

Active vs. passive pickups are another story, though.

Originally posted by Steve Lawson:

there are lots of external preamps that you can use that basically add active electronics to your bass, but do so outside the bass - Sadowsky make a lovely two band one, and E-Pro do a pedal version of the U-Retro, but there are loads. Shop around. :)

steve

www.stevelawson.net

In fact, there's no reason you can't buy an onboard preamp of your choice, and mount it in a little plastic project box from Radio Shack or similar. Just add battery clip, input and output jacks, and knobs for the pots. You could externalize it so you just plug a short cable (as short as possible) from the bass's output to the preamp's input.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

And if you put "gaffa tape" on it, it will suddenly become a thunderous forge of low-end perfection, the action will become silky, your sweaty underarms will dry up and you will start to resemble Hugh Jackman without the sharp hand thingys. :thu:

Maybe.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

LowK4 - it might help if you could characterize what you want from an "active" sound. As others have said, adding some type of preamp will allow you to EQ differently - either by the basic tone of the box or by the controls. Some here have experience with that Pandora, so you have the right tool (assuming you can also play very fast :P ).

Originally posted by lug:

Typically, an active preamp allows you to boost............... A Pandora PX4B allows you to boost the signal level........PLUS a whole lot of other stuff as well. :D

A cogent, competent, helpful post without any sarcasm, bad jokes, boiled basses, etc. ??? LowK4 should know how lucky this day is for him/her !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

LowK4 - it might help if you could characterize what you want from an "active" sound. As others have said, adding some type of preamp will allow you to EQ differently - either by the basic tone of the box or by the controls. Some here have experience with that Pandora, so you have the right tool (assuming you can also play very fast :P ).

Originally posted by lug:

Typically, an active preamp allows you to boost............... A Pandora PX4B allows you to boost the signal level........PLUS a whole lot of other stuff as well. :D

A cogent, competent, helpful post without any sarcasm, bad jokes, boiled basses, etc. ??? LowK4 should know how lucky this day is for him/her !!

Tom

I think his mom is fat.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Personally, from the moment I went active, I knew there was no going back. I really liked the way my old P Bass sounded, but the added tonal control from the onboard preamps of my StingRay and Tobias made me realize that the little 9v battery was doing something very special.

I'm not knocking passive controls, because many a great tone has been laid down with them. I just happen to favor the flavor of hi-fidelity.

You can make your signal active with outboard gear before it hits the amp, and get that "active" sound. But, you are still dealing with outboard stuff and not getting the convenience of an onboard preamp. Tone changes that would have consisted of adjusting amp knobs or engaging an EQ pedal are now easily made within reach of your picking hand without having to walk halfway across the stage (as PhilMan99 has already pointed out).

Also, beware of inexpensive onboard preamps. I feel you get what you pay for in this department. Try to think along the lines of Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan Basslines, ect...

Well, I've been using an EQ pedal by Behringer for three months now, and I can say that my Jazz bass has something more to give in terms of punch.

Just keeping the amp equalization flat and acting on high and mid-high frequencies can help to achieve a more brilliant sound.

However, if I have to play with an active sound I use the GL L-2500.

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

Archived