Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Atlanta Bass Gallery

_Sweet Willie_

Dig it.

Earlier this week I was in Atlanta for business. During the 24 hours I was there, I actually managed to carve out about 45 minutes to spend at the Atlanta Bass Gallery:

This shop is killer. Great gear. Great, laid back atmosphere, nice owner. :cool:

I very much enjoyed my 45 minutes of bass luvin'. It wasn't enough for me to really try a bunch of stuff out. More like enough time for me to oggle oodles of delectable delights (Ritter, Fodera, Sadowsky, Lull, F Bass, Eshenbaugh, Modulus, Glockenklang, Acoustic, Mesa Boogie, AccuGroove, Epifani, and oh so much more!) and try a couple of things.

I selected a 4-string Sadowsky jazz bass (black w/ rosewood board) and tried three rigs.

1. Eden VT300 all-tube head into an AccuGroove Bill Dickens. Luscious, beefy sound. I didn't like the overdrive feature on the Eden head, but otherwise this was good schtuff.

2. EA iAmp 800 into an EA neo 4x10. This was awesome. Plenty of headroom. I like the EQ options on the iAmp very much. There's a lot of control in what I think is an intuitive layout. That EA 4x10 is righteous. :thu:

3. EA iAmp 500 into an EA neo 2x10. Not the same gusto as the 800 into the 4x10, but nonetheless nice.

Rig #2 was my fave.

Thankfully I'm expecting more trips to the ATL in the future. Maybe I can figure out a way to get a little more time away from meetings and such to hang at the Gallery. :thu:

Y'all down in Atlanta have a good thing there. A lot of good money could get washed away in that crackhouse...errrr, bass shoppe.... ;)

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can't believe you didn't play the ritter, just to see if it was worth the hype to you. those things are just too beautiful not to find out what they sound and feel like.

still, that's some really nice amping. i feel confident i would have drawn the same conclusions you had -- from what i've read, i think the accugroove would've been too dark for my tastes, and while super clean isn't my absolute favorite tone ever, i'd rather have more high end than less.

i wish i had ever gotten a chance to go there when i was going to atlanta. i shall have to make it a point when i have a lot more money than i do now. then i might actually be able to buy something there.

robb.

You know, I would've grabbed a Ritter, but they were hanging a bit higher on the wall and I wanted to keep things easy. No doubt Jim would've pulled one down for me, but I also was more interested in trying a couple of rigs, and for that I wanted to stay with a "known quantity" in terms of basses -- thus a Sadowsky jazz.

Next time I'll go with a Ritter!

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

There are some insane basses currently pictured on the Ritter site.

I really need to try one because of the raves I've heard about feel and tone.

While the visual aesthetic is not totally in tune w/ my preferences, I will admit that I think they look more appealing in person than they do in pictures. Also, Drozd basses (which I did not see at the Gallery) are not my aesthetic, but the shape is insanely comfortable strapped on and they play like buttah.

Where are the ATLers? Have y'all been to this spot? What's the word locally?

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

That shop looks like heaven, I'd have to cut up all my cards before I walked into a shop like that!
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

WOW! :eek:

I have lived in Atlanta for 16 years and I never knew that this place existed! One of my biggest gripes was always having to go to Guitar Center or other such stores to try out basses. And of course they have the same Fenders and Ibanezs with maybe one or two cool used basses to try out. I will be going to the bass gallery this weekend! I'll have to remember to leave the credit cards at home.

P.S.

S-uu: next time you're in the ATL drop a line and we'll see if we can meet up.

You are paying for very specialized beautiful work with a Ritter. It's not necessary (or desirable in many playing situations) for many of us.

They do sound and play as good as they look - I've tried a few and they are dreamy.

Nice report Willie - glad to see you are putting your travel time to good use!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Signor Capasso:

Nice report Willie - glad to see you are putting your travel time to good use!

I do what I can do. It's all for the benefit of our little on-line community here at the Low Down... ;):D

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Archived